The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - Episode 1 - End. Begin. All the Same.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 1 - End. Begin. All the Same.
Netflix Premiere: Friday August 30, 2019

In the land of Thra, a young guard discovers a terrible secret about the Skeksis overlords who control the planet and its powerful Crystal of Truth.

If you've seen "End. Begin. All the Same.", please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Absolutely an amazing first episode. The puppets, the sets, the voice acting, everything - it blew me away. Haven't really gotten much into the story yet, but considering that it's only episode 1/10 it's understandable.

When the title music and Dark Crystal logo appeared at the beginning, I got chills. The logo read: "Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance". Emphasis on Jim Henson there. It really made me proud to be a fan in the moment, and it's great to see that Jim's legacy is being carried on almost 30 years later. Can't wait to see the rest!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was immensely more entertaining than the movie. And the puppetry is top-notch.

Side note: it was so obvious the girlfriend guard was going to die. I mean, all the "boy our lives are great and we're in love" stuff made it very clear.

MWoO

Reaction score
That was immensely more entertaining than the movie. And the puppetry is top-notch.

Side note: it was so obvious the girlfriend guard was going to die. I mean, all the "boy our lives are great and we're in love" stuff made it very clear.
I honestly thought that they would bring Mira back to life with the bottle of essence. Boy was I wrong. I guess you cant have too many happy endings in a series that we all know eventually ends in the near complete genocide of an entire species.

This show is so much more interesting than the movie. The movie was so slow and bare. I am sure it will make for an interesting epilogue when this series is done, but the series on its own is fantastic. I say this as someone that really didn't like the movie much at all.

I hope this gets a season 2 and maybe even a 3. Sadly, as I sad, we do know how it ends and we do know who does and does not survive all this. I think 2 seasons would fit nicely, but more than that and you risk slowing the pace of the show too much so you don't mess with the story of the film.

AnakinGonzo

Reaction score
Let's not get carried away now. The show is great, but...better than the movie? I think not. The two compliment each other perfectly.

MWoO

Reaction score
Its personal opinion, but I think the show is better. It allows for the complex story to unfold and shows us an expansion of the world. To me, the show can stand on its own, but the movie needs the show to be more enjoyable.

C to the J

Reaction score
This definitely gives me an idea of what happened before the movie took place. I've heard about the Dark Crystal series since the mid-2000s, but I never really bothered to look into it until the prequel series was announced for Netflix. I've only seen eight episodes so far. I've yet to watch the other two. To say I was impressed by the story and intricate puppetry would be an understatement. There are some voices I recognized (like Taron Egerton, whom I know best as Johnny from Sing, as Rian) and some I've never heard of before. As of now, there's no telling who'll be added if a second part is announced.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I'm halfway through the series, and so far this is way more enjoyable than the original movie. I think it's because of the addition of more humor tbh... plus the characters are WAY more likable than Kira and Jen

Mystic Master

Reaction score
I adore the movie, so I was thrilled for the series, and it does not disappoint. I've watched the whole run, and I must say, I advise watching a single episode at a time - its a lot to take in. Great that Sigourney Weaver is the storyteller in the pilot episode!