The Cover for the Fraggle Rock Comic is here!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Considering the flames from Chris Lie's early work on Return to Labyrinth and Jake Forbes' criticism of the same, I'll be interested to see their treatment of Fraggle Rock (Note: I am a BIG fan of RTL. Getting past vol 1 is well-rewarded.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I never did get around to looking at or reading RTL, but I've never been a fan of Tokyopop's "Ginsu manga" (stuff made in the US that only looks Japanese) if only because they all look like they have the same basic style, and manga/anime has a bunch of different wacky styles. I'd kill to see someone try to make a Muppet/Fraggle/Labyrinth comic Tensai Bakabon or Doraemon style.

Anyway, seems the wiki article added MORE information, especially this quote:
We’re trying to remain as true to the series as possible. I think the biggest change is that we’re telling these stories in the comic book medium rather than TV. We did make a conscious decision not to write the series as a sequel to the show. Those of you who know how the show ends know that setting these stories after the final episode would require either changing some key components of the series or else coming up with some contrived way of reversing what happened at the end of the show. We didn’t want to do that, so rather our stories are set within the period of the show. We’re also not worrying too much about continuity. We’re not ignoring it, but in the interest of making sure this book’s accessible to young readers who have never seen the show, we felt it best if we focus on telling self-contained stories that don’t depend on knowing particular episodes of the show.
That said, there will definitely be things in the series for fans. We’re focusing on the “Fraggle Five,” but we’ll also be telling stories that focus on Doozers and Gorgs, as well as supporting characters like Convincing John, the World's Oldest Fraggle, Traveling Matt and Cotterpin Doozer. We’re also throwing in occasional references and Easter Eggs that fans will pick up on. We’re all old fans ourselves, so we definitely want to make sure we please our fellow fans. But we also want to help grow the property and bring new fans into the fold. I think the series succeeds on both fronts.
Really... sounds great to me. The activity page seems pretty cute too, for the younger demographic no doubt. We've only seen covers so far, but they look just great.

beaker

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but this has me more excited then any of the current Muppet titles out:smile:

The only thing I DON'T like about this is the impossible to store 8x8 inch size and dimensions. I don't mind it being a buck more than the Boom series, but I want to be able to put them in some sort of storage bag and board to keep it as long as humanly possible.
You must not be accustomed to UK magazines(they had an AMAZING TMNT one 2003-2006) or Japanese movie programs then:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Well, I never did get around to looking at or reading RTL, but I've never been a fan of Tokyopop's "Ginsu manga" (stuff made in the US that only looks Japanese) if only because they all look like they have the same basic style, and manga/anime has a bunch of different wacky styles. I'd kill to see someone try to make a Muppet/Fraggle/Labyrinth comic Tensai Bakabon or Doraemon style.
Oh man, did you actually see the Dark Crystal art?
You seriously don't like this?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9d2U1aoLo7U/RyJIvS5bbrI/AAAAAAAAA1k/vb5mEsz3u5Y/s320/Tokyopop.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9d2U1aoLo7U/RyVHoy5bbzI/AAAAAAAAA2k/GginnDahVPI/s320/LDC6.jpg

I get tired of the uniform expedited manga style from Japan,
hence why I tend to prefer the anime version of stories or American indie comics.

Also, I cant picture a Muppet series in this style:
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Entertainment/images/Ganso Tensai Bakabon.jpg
Actually, I can but I don't want to. However, if you look at super early Muppet Babies I believe it was done by an anime company.
Or maybe Im thinking of Rugrats.

jackrb

Reaction score
It looks like it was made in Japan but I do like the work on Boober.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I cant picture a Muppet series in this style:
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Entertainment/images/Ganso Tensai Bakabon.jpg
Actually, I can but I don't want to. However, if you look at super early Muppet Babies I believe it was done by an anime company.
Or maybe Im thinking of Rugrats.
There, no kiddin, is a TMNT manga that IS in Tensai Bakabon style. Think it was up on the TMNT official site somewhere. But hey, it's completely different from the same uniform bishonen stuff... man am I sicka that.

Yeah, the Toei animated Muppet babies episodes have very subtle hints of Dr. Slump to them if you look closely. Guess it was the same team that animated it. I found subtle hints of Dragon Ball and Kinnikuman in the Toei animated first 5 episodes of TMNT, actually. It's all in the teeth.