The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
BAD GUYS VS GOOD GUYS:
We see a Western setting and two outlaws dressed in black, played by Luis Avalos and Morgan Freeman, playing cards. Luis laughs and shouts, "You're the old maid!" Morgan grabbed Luis by the bandana and says, "Who are calling an old maid?!" Just then, a delivery boy on a wooden horse, played by Stephen Gustafson arrived with a message for them. Then he told them, "Have a nice day." Morgan replied, "Bad guys don't have nice days, now get!" Stephen quickly galloped off while Luis said, "He's on a one legged horse."
However, neither one of the bad guys knew how to read, so they placed the message on a post seeing if it had some words they recognize. The note said, "Bad Guys. We are going to get you! The Good Guys." The only thing they could read were their names, Bad Guys. And whoever sent it had the same last name as they do. Luis thought it was from Mom. They placed their hats over the hearts and Morgan said, "I don't think it's from Mom, because she can't read any better than you and me." Then Luis saw the G in Good Guys and thought, "Maybe it's like Garbage Guys or Gopher Guys." They kept going, "GUH, GUH, GOOD GUYS!" Then they realized this note was from the Good Guys. Even though they got the Bad Guys and Good Guys part read, they didn't know what the squiggly stuff in the middle was.
Just then, the good guys dressed in white, played by Jim Boyd and Skip Hinnant, came in and read the note for them. Then the bad guys realized these were the good guys coming to get them. "I'll take the big guy," said Skip. "I'll take the little one!" said Jim. The bad guys got out of the way as the good guys crashed into each other and onto the ground. "Oh, that was bad!" giggled Morgan and he and Luis ran off.
"I thought the good guys were always supposed to get the bad guys," said Skip. "That's only in the movies," said Jim, "This is the Electric Company."

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
When I was four, I had a HUGE crush on Denise Nickerson (never mind she was 15-16 during her one season on the show).
In the fall of '73, Season 3, new opening credits, and in the Short Circus Denise was replaced by Bayn "Kelly" Johnson. Dang near broke my heart.
Praying for Denise's speedy recovery.
She might've been a nasty gum-chewing brat in the Willy Wonka movie, but in TEC, and in real life, she's a sweetheart.

Xerus

Reaction score
A skit, where gluttony and bad table manners leads to a catchy tune.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Speaking of gluttony... From Season One, with the whole cast. We get to learn their stage names, and he use of the possessive "'s".

Judy Graubart has a bag of popcorn "Winnie's popcorn". Takes a big handful and shoves it in her face, then passes it to Morgan Freeman.
"Now, it's Mark's".
Take a handful. Pass to Rita Moreno.
"Now, it's Carmella's".
Repeat, pass to Bill Cosby.
"Now, it's Hank's".
Repeat, pass to Lee Chamberlin.
"Now, it's Brenda's".
She takes TWO handfuls before passing to Skip Hinnant.
"Now, it's J.J.'s"
J.J. gets the bag, but nothing left but air.
"Now, it's empty".
Bummer.

A skit or two later, we repeat the process. When we get down to J.J., he's mad because he expects the bag to be empty again. When he sees there's still some left, his eyes brighten up.
"Now, it's everybody's!"

How far can three kernels last among six people?

Last edited:

Katzi428

Reaction score
I had read that with the members of the Short Circus , they got to pick their own names.. The actress that played Julie (June Angela) picked Julie because her favorite actress was Julie Andrews. The actor that played Buddy (Steve Gustafson) picked Buddy because he liked the drummer Buddy Rich (Steve played drums on The Electric Company )
BTW, here's an article about Denise Nickerson:
https://people.com/movies/willy-wonka-star-denise-nickerson-suffers-stroke/

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Special shout-out to cast member Luis Avalos, who passed away a few years back
(along with Jim Boyd and Lee Chamberlin. Are TEC cast members dying in alphabetical order? That would mean Bill Cosby is next!)
Luis was only 26 when he joined the cast for Season 2. But his mustache (by Season 4 or 5) and already balding head made him look much older.
Even though he was a puny guy who admits he can't sing, he can yell. Some skits with Morgan Freeman or Jim Boyd ended with epic screaming matches.
And he loved playing villains. Bad cowboys, bank robbers, or foes against Spider Man (I love "Spidey vs. The Fly") he was in the zone.
Thank you Luis/Roberto/Pedro.
You're proof big things come in small packages.