The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Hayley B

Reaction score
Sorry I don't really remember much from the Electric Company, Cullen. Expect for what I just said this morning. That and I remember this lady not understanding what a Mime was. This Mime was trying to explain when he was and couldn't take it anymore and so he broke out of character.

Xerus

Reaction score
I grew up watching the Electric Company reruns during the 70's and half the 80's, so I remember a lot of the episodes. It had funny writing and great songs. The kids of today probably only have knowledge of what they saw on the TEC DVDS, youtube, and Amazon Prime. So I wanted to share my TEC memories here.

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's the origin of Letterman. Animated by John and Faith Hubley. And starring Joan Rivers as the Narrator. Gene Wilder as Letterman. And Zero Mostel as the Spellbinder.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I got to see The Electric Company from the very beginning. In the fall of 1971, I was three, and already was a devout follower of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Over the next few years, EC helped broaden my vocabulary, and served me well with reading, writing, and spelling.
I always loved the Short Circus, especially the first two seasons,(with Irene Cara, then Denise Nickerson). "Sweet Sweet Sway" was good enough to be a legitimate pop hit. Leave The Partridge Family in the dust.8)

Katzi428

Reaction score
I got to see The Electric Company from the very beginning. In the fall of 1971, I was three, and already was a devout follower of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers. Over the next few years, EC helped broaden my vocabulary, and served me well with reading, writing, and spelling.
I always loved the Short Circus, especially the first two seasons,(with Irene Cara, then Denise Nickerson). "Sweet Sweet Sway" was good enough to be a legitimate pop hit. Leave The Partridge Family in the dust.8)
Count me in as one of the original Electric Company lovers!
I get a kick out of the take off of some of the old shows they did : "Love Of Chair" (It was a take off of 1970s soap opera called "Love Of Life" ) 'The Six Dollar and and Thirty Nine Cent Man" ( "The Six Million Dollar Man") In a way Short Circus was supposed to be like Short Circuits (Get it? Electric Company? Short Circuit?:wink: )

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I wasn't one of the original watchers of the show, but the first time I watched the show I was eight, I got a DVD from the library because I had vaguely heard of it and knew that that it was from the makers of Sesame Street. What really caught my eye was the fact that Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby (it was a different time) were on the cover. So, I said, what the hey, but thought it would be a total waste of time. But almost as soon as I got home and fired up the DVD player I was glued! It was the strangest and most exciting thing knowing that the likes of Rita Moreno were on the same show as Spider-Man and The Blue Beetle (how'd they ever get the rights?). It was such a funny and unusual show, and it reminded me of classic SST so I kept watching. The sketches that stuck out to me the most were the Silent E song (my 8-year old brain thought it was the most clever song ever written) and that one Rita Moreno sketch where she played an over the top pop singer with that kid band as he backup singers. I think the song went something like "Unbutton your heart, unzip your lips, and tell me that you love me", something like that. I think Rita said that she was channeling Tina Turner. Anyway, I still get those songs stuck in my head a lot.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Did anybody hear about Denise Nickerson having a stroke in the ICU?

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's Denise Nickerson and the rest of the Short Circus singing, The Sweet Sweet Sway, FuzzyGobo had mentioned. TEC had really funny writing and skits. But there were times they took a break from silliness, just to sing some wonderful feel good songs.