The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
This cartoon is so retro 70's sounding. About a guy who makes his bed, literally.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Another Very Short Book.
@Xerus, I bow down to your incredible recall. Even in the days of YesterdayLand, you remembered some bits even I forgot. That is a big feat.
Or feet.

In this installment, "Polly Put the Kettle On", Luis is the narrator while Rita plays Polly. The only dialogue on each page was "Polly put the kettle on". The first time Polly places the kettle on an antique stove.
The second time she places it a little harder. After the third and fourth time, she slams the kettle down so hard it breaks.

Which is also a great feat, being able to bust cast iron like that.

So here's to you and Rita, and your great feats.
Or great feet. 8)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If, from Season 2.

A few cast members show how better their lives would be IF the fates smiled down on them.

Judy: "I'd have the most beautiful smile in the world... IF... only I brushed my teeth!"
She flashes us a grin with about three teeth left.

Lee: "I could be the best tennis player in the country... IF... only I knew the rules".
She is covered with sports gear, holding a racket and a hockey stick, and a stray tennis ball bounces away.

Skip: "I could be the best carpenter in town... IF... (holds up a very swollen thumb) only I could drive a nail."
He tries to hammer a nail, smashes his thumb, and the planks behind him fall over.

Luis: "I could be the best lifeguard on the beach...IF...(puts an inflatable rubber duckie around his waist) only I could swim!"
He holds his nose, and dumps a bucket of water on his head.

Rita: "I could be the best ballerina in the world... IF... my feet were a little bit smaller".
She tries a pirouette with feet so big Letterman would cringe.

Xerus

Reaction score
Another Very Short Book.
@Xerus, I bow down to your incredible recall. Even in the days of YesterdayLand, you remembered some bits even I forgot. That is a big feat.
Or feet.

In this installment, "Polly Put the Kettle On", Luis is the narrator while Rita plays Polly. The only dialogue on each page was "Polly put the kettle on". The first time Polly places the kettle on an antique stove.
The second time she places it a little harder. After the third and fourth time, she slams the kettle down so hard it breaks.

Which is also a great feat, being able to bust cast iron like that.

So here's to you and Rita, and your great feats.
Or great feet. 8)
Thanks, Fuzzygobo. I watched most of those Electric Company reruns as a kid, that I remember most of the dialog.

But I don't remember the Polly Put the Kettle On skit. It must've been before I was old enough to start watching TV.

Xerus

Reaction score
If, from Season 2.

A few cast members show how better their lives would be IF the fates smiled down on them.

Judy: "I'd have the most beautiful smile in the world... IF... only I brushed my teeth!"
She flashes us a grin with about three teeth left.

Lee: "I could be the best tennis player in the country... IF... only I knew the rules".
She is covered with sports gear, holding a racket and a hockey stick, and a stray tennis ball bounces away.

Skip: "I could be the best carpenter in town... IF... (holds up a very swollen thumb) only I could drive a nail."
He tries to hammer a nail, smashes his thumb, and the planks behind him fall over.

Luis: "I could be the best lifeguard on the beach...IF...(puts an inflatable rubber duckie around his waist) only I could swim!"
He holds his nose, and dumps a bucket of water on his head.

Rita: "I could be the best ballerina in the world... IF... my feet were a little bit smaller".
She tries a pirouette with feet so big Letterman would cringe.
I remember that one. I also remember it started out with Morgan Freeman as a football player. He said, "I could be the best football player in the country. IF I could stop eating taffy." He tries to throw the ball, but it was stuck to his hand thanks to gooey taffy.

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's a really strange cartoon about a guy who keeps calling everyone he sees, "Weird," even when he himself walks by shooting out car fumes. Along with a live action film about strong paper towels.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Here's a really strange cartoon about a guy who keeps calling everyone he sees, "Weird," even when he himself walks by shooting out car fumes. Along with a live action film about strong paper towels.
The guy in the in the weird cartoon. Isn't shooting out car fumes.
More like Taco Bell fumes! 8)

Xerus

Reaction score
Let the Clown Be: We see a clown (Jim Boyd) dressed in a derby and hobo rags sitting on a stool. He reaches into his coat and pulls out a head of LETTUCE and a WALLET. Then he asks us if we see something special about these two words. Just then, a giant rabbit (Hattie Winston) hops in and takes the lettuce from the clown and says, "Thank you." and hops off. And a robber (Luis Avalos) steals the wallet from the clown and runs away.
The clown reaches into his coat again and pulls out a VIOLET and a BULLET. And he asks us the same question. Just then, Judy Graubart in a bridal gown comes in, takes the violet and says, "Thank you." And the Lone Ranger (Skip Hinnant) shouts, "Hi Ho Silver!" taking the bullet from the clown.
The frustrated clown reaches into his coat one more time and takes out a LETTER and a MALLET and asks the same question again. This time, a postwoman (Rita Moreno) takes the letter. And a millionaire playboy (Morgan Freeman) takes the mallet for he needed it for a croquet match.
The clown reached into his coat and found nothing else to show. Just then, the rabbit came back and gave the clown one last lettuce leaf and grumbled, "That was the worst lettuce I've ever eaten!" and leaves. The robber returns the wallet and said, "This is the emptiest wallet I've ever seen!" The bride came back crying and shouts, "The wedding is off!" and returns the violet. The Lone Ranger returns the bullet and said, "This bullet is plastic!" The postwoman gives back the letter saying that it doesn't have a stamp. And the millionaire playboy returns the mallet now with a broken handle complaining how fragile it was.
The now sad clown, sitting all alone with the returned stuff in his lap, looks up and sees the 6 words with certain letters highlighted and starts reading, "LETtuce, walLET, vioLET, bulLET, LETter, malLET." and he said, "There is something special about all of these words, but I'll LET you figure that out yourself." And he took off his hat revealing the word LET inside.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two Cosby's for the price of one.

During his short tenure, the production staff made innovative use of split screens and double exposures to make it seem like Bill Cosby had a twin.

"I Like You". Bill dressed like the farmer and his wife in Grant Wood's painting "American Gothic". Bill is a funny guy, but the man could not sing to save his life.

"ch" words. Two Bills flash cards with "ch" words. The one on the left pulls off some incredible faces. They flash cards until the end. "Chimpanzee!" says one, proud he could read such a big word. Then his twin one-ups him. "Chattanooga Choo Choo!
Charlie!"
"Cheater!"
The winner turns around as the loser sulks. The back of his sweater reads "CHAMP!"

In the last clip, Bill is dressed as a basketball player. Bouncing a basketball, he demonstrates "dribble". Out comes his twin, causing Rita to call "Double dribble!" Being called on a foul, Cosby is benched. His twin calls out, "Hey! Wait for me!"

Xerus

Reaction score
Exclamation Point Jacket: We see Jim Boyd and Luis Avalos meeting each other on the street. Jim was wearing a brown jacket and tie and Luis was wearing a tie and blue jacket covered with exclamation points. Luis shouted, "HELLO! HOW DO YOU DO?!" Jim held his ears and asked Luis why he was yelling. "I DON'T KNOW!" said Luis wondering too. Jim suggested that maybe Luis was yelling because he was wearing that exclamation point jacket. "MAYBE!" said Luis. Jim suggested that they trade jackets to see if that was true. And they did. Luis, now wearing Jim's plain brown jacket was now speaking normally and asked, "How does it feel." And Jim now wearing the exclamation suit shouted, "TIGHT! REALLY TIGHT!"