The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
WHO EVER THOUGHT OF THE ZIPPER?: Does anyone remember this skit? We see a cloth with a zipper and someone unzipping it revealing a musical number. First, we see Gregg Burge wearing winter clothes and can't get the zipper undone. And he started singing how it's 90 degrees, but can't get the jacket off because of the broken zipper. Then he starts singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? He really is a klutz! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's driving me quite nuts!"
Then Judy Graubart came in wearing a wedding dress and she starts singing on how she can't go to her wedding because she couldn't zip up the dress in the back. Then Gregg and Judy start singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like to know him now! Who ever thought of the zipper? We want to give him a KAPOW!"
Then it showed a tent with Bayn Johnson's head sticking out of the front. She sings how she's trapped in the tent because of a broken zipper. Then Gregg, Judy, and Bayn start singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like to know his name! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's made our lives insane!"
Judy sings, "I'll take buttons." Bayn signs, "I'll take string!" Gregg sings, "I'll take almost anything!" Then they all start marching with Bayn's feet sticking out of her tent and they all sing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like his home address! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's made our lives a mess!"
And the music stops and Morgan Freeman comes in wearing a scuba suit with a broken zipper he can't undo. Morgan shouts to everyone, "Are you looking for that zipper guy?" He takes out a piece of paper and says, "Well, I got his name and address right here. His name is Zachary Zipper and he lives at one zero zero, Zebra Street!" And all four of them started marching off and shouting, ready to give Mr. Zachary Zipper a piece of their minds.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
WHO EVER THOUGHT OF THE ZIPPER?: Does anyone remember this skit? We see a cloth with a zipper and someone unzipping it revealing a musical number. First, we see Gregg Burge wearing winter clothes and can't get the zipper undone. And he started singing how it's 90 degrees, but can't get the jacket off because of the broken zipper. Then he starts singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? He really is a klutz! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's driving me quite nuts!"
Then Judy Graubart came in wearing a wedding dress and she starts singing on how she can't go to her wedding because she couldn't zip up the dress in the back. Then Gregg and Judy start singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like to know him now! Who ever thought of the zipper? We want to give him a KAPOW!"
Then it showed a tent with Bayn Johnson's head sticking out of the front. She sings how she's trapped in the tent because of a broken zipper. Then Gregg, Judy, and Bayn start singing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like to know his name! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's made our lives insane!"
Judy sings, "I'll take buttons." Bayn signs, "I'll take string!" Gregg sings, "I'll take almost anything!" Then they all start marching with Bayn's feet sticking out of her tent and they all sing, "Who ever thought of the zipper? We'd like his home address! Who ever thought of the zipper? He's made our lives a mess!"
And the music stops and Morgan Freeman comes in wearing a scuba suit with a broken zipper he can't undo. Morgan shouts to everyone, "Are you looking for that zipper guy?" He takes out a piece of paper and says, "Well, I got his name and address right here. His name is Zachary Zipper and he lives at one zero zero, Zebra Street!" And all four of them started marching off and shouting, ready to give Mr. Zachary Zipper a piece of their minds.
There was also a chorus in there that went, "Just forget it! Just forget it!"
It was a scream seeing Bayn stuck in the pup tent. Typical 70s color- Day-Glo Orange!

This is partially why Levi's best selling jeans are the 501's with the button fly. 8)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Once Rita was hiking through the woods, and wanted to scrape the mud off her boots (with 3 inch heels).
After bumping against a tree stump, a voice yells, "Hey!!! What's going on out there???!!!"
In the hollow of the stump, Morgan Freeman emerges as a tiny squirrel (Ain't chroma-key great?)
Both Rita and the squirrel argue, her boots are muddy, he's sleep-deprived ("And I got a dog with insomnia!")

They finally regain composure and Rita picks up the sign that fell down, "Do Not Bump Stump".

She had enough of the snarky little squirrel and leaves, and his sign falls down again. Morgan concludes maybe it would be quieter in the city.

A crow flies overhead, letting out a loud caw.
Morgan loses it, shaking a fist skyward, "WILL YOU SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!"

Xerus

Reaction score
Once Rita was hiking through the woods, and wanted to scrape the mud off her boots (with 3 inch heels).
After bumping against a tree stump, a voice yells, "Hey!!! What's going on out there???!!!"
In the hollow of the stump, Morgan Freeman emerges as a tiny squirrel (Ain't chroma-key great?)
Both Rita and the squirrel argue, her boots are muddy, he's sleep-deprived ("And I got a dog with insomnia!")

They finally regain composure and Rita picks up the sign that fell down, "Do Not Bump Stump".

She had enough of the snarky little squirrel and leaves, and his sign falls down again. Morgan concludes maybe it would be quieter in the city.

A crow flies overhead, letting out a loud caw.
Morgan loses it, shaking a fist skyward, "WILL YOU SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!"
As I remember, Rita left and accidentally took the sign with her. And Morgan growls, "That's the 4th sign I lost this week! PEOPLE!"

Xerus

Reaction score
FREE FRENCH FRIES?
We see Skip Hinnant as a little boy with a T-shirt, baseball cap, and glasses. He was talking about his favorite FR words like French Fries and Free. He said he likes getting free fries. And he gets them free because he just takes them without paying. Then a cop, played by Morgan Freeman, offers Skip a French Fry. Skip thought the cop was being generous, but he said that was evidence. And he drags Skip away.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It's neat how Morgan played both sides of the law. He was a model cop, but equally at home being a hustler, crook, or shady wise guy.

Once he offers Jim Boyd a free box of chalk, but Jim is having his own problems crossing the street, as the "Walk/Don't Walk" sign keeps changing on him.

He finally makes it across the street, but a cop (Luis Avalos) busts him.

"You're under arrest! For making fun of me (there's a chalk drawing of Luis on a wall), and defacing public property. Let's go to the station house!"

Jim: "Oh, we can't, Officer!"
Luis: "Why not?"
Jim: (Pointing to the street sign) "Don't Walk!"
Luis: (Ready to burst into tears) "I feel so silly!"
Jim: (Patting him on the head) "Aww, don't feel like that!"

Xerus

Reaction score
Not only did Gene Wilder voice Letterman, he also voiced the agreeable Arnold.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Not only did Gene Wilder voice Letterman, he also voiced the agreeable Arnold.
Same animation style as "It's The Plumber!"
R. Crumb and friends cranked out another gem. Two characters are driving in a car.
One keeps hearing a bird chirping, the other denies it. In the end, the first guy agrees, "Okay, no bird".
The camera pans back to show a huge bird perched on the roof, with a tiny little chirp.
"Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!"

Xerus

Reaction score
LETTERMAN in, A ROLLING STONE: We see the Spellbinder watching a little old lady named Miss Stone walking down a hill. SB decides that what she needs on her heels are wheels. So he adds a W to HEELS turning Miss Stone's HEELS into WHEELS. And she starts to roll down the hill to an approaching cliff. She starts screaming, "Somebody call the boy scouts!" Letterman, who was fishing in the stream, heard the shout and flew off to save her. He removes the W causing Miss Stone to stop on her HEELS, just inches away from the cliff. Miss Stone thanks Letterman and asks, "Are you a scout?" Letterman goes, "Actually, no ma'am." The Spellbinder was watching and tries something else. He takes away the H in HEELS and Miss Stone's heels turns into a couple of slippery EELS, causing her to slide down the hill again. Luckily, Letterman was still there and he removes the H from his sweater and turns EELS back into HEELS once again. Miss Stone finds herself standing sideways on the cliff and says, "Oh, Letterman. Thank you, again." Letterman nods and flies off while Miss Stone walks down the cliff "sideways?"

Xerus

Reaction score
There were times when Letterman didn't have the right letter with him or even no letters at all. So he had to find ways to improvise the best he could.