The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like the kids are often mean to Charlie Brown, but after thinking about it a bit yesterday, it seems like it's really the girls who are regularly mean to Charlie Brown, with the boys usually being on better terms. I almost want to say that the boy who is the meanest is Shermy, the one with no developed personality, though that's more because of the punchline to the first strip ("Good ol' Charlie Brown... How I hate him!"), the two did seem to be on good terms during the very early years when the cast wasn't very developed yet.

Hmm, and Lucy is the meanest of the girls who lasted. Sally doesn't seem to be that mean to Charlie Brown and when he is it seems more like a typical little sister being mean, and Peppermint Patty, I guess, seems to be more rough than mean with Charlie Brown, while Marcie is usually nice.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The Peanuts strips were always good. They were slightly edgy for their time.

But the character’s personalities really came into bloom with the specials and movies.

Nothing will ever top”A Charlie Brown Christmas”, although the little-seen “He’s Your Dog, Charlie Brown” was a wonderful showcase for Snoopy.

And best of all in the specials (and first three movies) was Vince Guaraldi’s scores. Vince was to Peanuts what Joe Raposo was to Sesame Street.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Vince was to Peanuts what Joe Raposo was to Sesame Street.
Raposo actually did some work for a Peanuts production once. When Clark Gesner's concept album "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" was adapted into a stage musical in 1967, Raposo provided new arrangements on his songs, and instrumental underscore. Raposo's arrangements were then adapted for an animated TV special based on the musical in the 80s.

If there ever was a contender for a Peanuts production to beat "A Charlie Brown Christmas", I've said it before and I'll say it again, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown". It is peak Peanuts, from the characterization and writing to the music to the art design. The musical interludes, though they are there to pad out the film, give it a lot of class too.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The Peanuts strips were always good. They were slightly edgy for their time.

But the character’s personalities really came into bloom with the specials and movies.

Nothing will ever top”A Charlie Brown Christmas”, although the little-seen “He’s Your Dog, Charlie Brown” was a wonderful showcase for Snoopy.

And best of all in the specials (and first three movies) was Vince Guaraldi’s scores. Vince was to Peanuts what Joe Raposo was to Sesame Street.
How exactly were they edgy for their time?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought it was ridiculous that so many fans complained that those specials wouldn’t be broadcast on television. Not just because the Apple TV + app allows for those specials to be viewed for free on certain days, but because they have been released on nearly every home video format, are currently still in print on DVD, Blu-Ray and even Ultra 4K HD, and even if one doesn’t want to pay for the special, they can probably check them out at their local libraries.

It is very unexpected that they’ll air on PBS as well.

the article says this was the first year without Great Pumpkin, but there was a five-year period in the 1990s when CBS didn’t air it.