The BS of the MPAA

mr3urious

Reaction score
The Motion Picture Association of America's ratings system sure is a joke nowadays, isn't it? Stricter guidelines for sex over violence, PG ratings for otherwise G-rated movies (mainly in the animation department), and worst of all, the absolute death sentence for anything given the ultimate NC-17 rating. The documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated and Cracked's article showcased how Jack Valenti's little system went from being a guideline to a censorship organization. And a recent video by GoodBadFlicks (largely NSFW) showcased how the PG-13 rating went from being the mid-point between PG and R to a neutered R in a pathetic attempt by studios to gain a wider audience, and usually failing.

The MPAA needs a complete overhaul. Bring their ratings system back to what it was meant to stand for, and start judging elements based on context, not as a whole. Like how the documentary Bully originally got an R for language alone, preventing its target audience from seeing it. Eventually, it was appealed for an unrated release as well as a bowdlerized PG-13 version.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've always said that ratings were now a stupid marketing ploy. I've been complaining about films from other ends of the spectrum for years now. PG is now G with a 'tude. The only studio that can get away with a G movie and make any money out of them is Pixar, and only because they're Pixar. Madagascar 1 was able to get a visual "H**L" via a gag where Alex built a sign that said "Help" out of palm trees, that fell apart as a heavy handed metaphor. Madagascar 3? Had to change the lyrics to " New York, New York, It's a Heck of a Town."

Let's go further back.

the original TMNT movie featured violence, Casey Jones, and the D word on multiple occasions, all uttered by Raph. Even managed to sneak a small bit of delinquent drug use in there. 2007's TMNT CGI fil m had the same PG rating, but had a significant amount less violence and zero cussing. Then again, parental groups in an uproar made darn sure Secret of the Ooze was mindlessly kid-friendly a couple years after the original, so... suffice to say, whatever can be said about this year's film, I at least respect that it got a PG-13.

And frankly I don't mind a super hero PG-13 film. Even though some idiot took their 4 year old to the paranoia inducing Captain America:The Winter Soldier when I saw it and couldn't stop freaking crying. That's what you get for putting Spider-Man on diapers. But I don't mind...except for one thing. The second Wolverine movie. Didn't bother with the awful first one, obviously. But while I enjoyed the film for the most part, I was pretty insulted by the fact they gave any use of his trademark claws the 1980's (or 90's Spider-Man) violence discretion shot. I'm so glad that Deadpool made sure there was a market for R rated super hero movies so the next Wolverine is going to be R.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw recently that the next Nostalgia Critic Editorial will be about whether the PG rating means anything anymore.

the original TMNT movie featured violence, Casey Jones, and the D word on multiple occasions, all uttered by Raph.
So what would be wrong with Casey Jones?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The second film famously removed Casey Jones in favor of a generic teenage ninja boy who adds nothing to the movie. Possibly because Casey resembled Jason when he was wearing his hockey mask, or because he used sports equipment as weaponry, which is imitable. Either way, he was restored in the third movie which everyone hates for some reason. Secret of the Ooze deserves more hate that the third one. SOTO was a freaking toy commercial made for 5 year olds that ruined the potential of the first film, which I consider to be one of the best comic book adaptions.

mr3urious

Reaction score
And now here's Doug Walker weighing in on the ratings issue.

https://www.vessel.com/videos/LAgZI7ApJ

He also agrees with the popular belief that "PG-13 is the new R when it comes to violence", don't buy. I think Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was able to get away with its violence in spite of its PG rating because it lacked blood. And I'm sure Drag Me to H377 managed to squeak its gory violence by with a PG-13 because Sam Raimi has enough clout in Hollywood.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Am I imagining things, or is Doug starting to get a little gray?