The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

JimJudy

Reaction score
I have another question. Have you ever written a sketch that was meant for one character but was changed to another character? If so could you give some examples.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I have another question for you Jim. In a scean with more muppets than there are people, have you ever gotten the chance to preform one of the muppets? If so which one, and in what show?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just sent in some questions and comments I really can't wait to see the answers to some of these.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here are some Answers enjoy!

Asking Jim Questions 09/30/2008

JIM ANSWERS

1. From the Count: (One of Muppet Central’s awesome Moderators!)

*Raises hand. Hi, I have a question for Mr. Lewis. It was mentioned in the article written/posted by Joe Hennes on www.toughpigs.com on September 9, 2008 that puppeteer Jane Gootnick is the one responsible for the recent appearance of the Swedish Chef's wedding ring. Exqueese me? When did the Chef get married? And who's the blushing bride? Did he provide catering for his own ceremony?
Also, along the same lines... There was a Muppet Show moment where Kermit talks to Sam, and the eagle confesses he's been married, and doesn't like to talk about his children... His daughter is dating an owl and his son left college. What more can you tell us about these? Are they characters that might get turned into actual Muppets at any point in the future?
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and I hope you have a good day.

As for the Chef, I know nothing. Look at the hands. They’re hands. Hands. In the words of Monty Python: saynomore saynomore…. And Jane, God Bless Her, is actually a puppet builder and all around artist, though I suspect she’s puppeteered at times over the years.
On Sam: I’ve heard rumors of this past, but know no more than what you heard on The Muppet Show. Sam doesn’t share. Sorry.

2. From Ryan: Jim, do you still stay in touch with Kevin Clash? I figure that since he performed Clifford on Muppets Tonight you'd be pretty close to him. Has he ever expressed much interest in reprising Clifford for some of the newer productions? Or is he just way too busy with Sesame Street to even consider that? I know he was pretty heavily involved from 1996 to around 2002 when VMX aired. I'm just interested since Clifford is one of my favorite characters. Also this Janice's performer thing IS driving me nuts... Ah well, probably as you intended it! Speaking of which, while we're on the topic... who's YOUR favorite Electric Mayhem member? Mine's Floyd--with Dr. Teeth falling in a VERY close second.

Kevin is a genius. Really. We’ve know each other for 20 years, but he’s on one coast and I on the other. Plus he always makes fun of the way my wrist “crackles” when I shake hands. What causes that? ….Clifford? Maybe sometime, but Kevin is pretty busy on the Elmo front. I trust he’ll do more Muppet (non-Sesame) stuff when the right opportunity arises……Love the VMX shorthand. Took me ten minutes to figure out…..The Janice puzzle is yours to figure. If you figure right, I will nod yes…..And as for the Mayhem: I love ‘em all. Janice is beautiful, Floyd sardonic, Zoot mysterious, Teeth a font of wisdom and Animal is….well, Animal. Who can say which is best? Not me.

3. From JimJudy: have another question. Have you ever written a sketch that was meant for one character but was changed to another character? If so could you give some examples?

Not that I can think of. The characters are pretty much who they are, but let’s face it having Sam do a Chef bit would be weird…..Hmm, now that you mention it.

4.From Colbynfriends: I have another question for you Jim. In a scene with more Muppets than there are people, have you ever gotten the chance to perform one of the Muppets? If so which one, and in what show?

I can only recall one instance. At the top of “Muppet Classic Theater”, I was a penguin playing the clarinet (my old instrument from high school, by the way). You can tell it’s me, cause the penguin looks like it had a stroke.

Some Comments and things:

From togetheragain: Hello Jim! TogetherAgain here again. I don't have a question this time--at least, not that I can think of yet--I would just like to thank you for being so awesome and giving us these utterly fantastic answers that... you have probably heard me squeal in response to. I think I have impaired the hearing of at least half of my residence hall... Hm, which WOULD explain why people have been playing their music louder... And I sincerely pity my roommate. And I sincerely NEED to glomp you. <GLOMP!> ...Oh, and in case you're wondering, your comments regarding Janice's voice are driving Prawnie crazy--erm... crazier. Quite entertaining from my perspective. So, from the bottom of my utterly ecstatic heart, THANK YOU!

You are welcome, and I squeal back at you.

From Ryan: (This is in response to the Janice &the Pepe answer) ...*opens mouth to respond* *closes* WOW. Jim... you ROOOOOOOOCK! ! ! I can't say that enough... THANK YOU! *needs to see the credits for Studio DC again!* I am SO intrigued by Pepe's book now (PLEASE, as if I wasn't before!), cannot WAIT for it!

The book, I like. I helped write, with Bill. But it’s Pepe who did all the work of approving and telling me to wrok harder.

From Dwayne: Jim from the bottom of my heart I want to thank you for taking the time to answer fans questions. You are a wonderful writer, and I think that anyone that tries to be so in tune with the fans can only make there writing better. I’m really looking forward what lays ahead not just for the Muppets but for the relationship between a great Muppet writer, and his fans.

You embarrass me with your kindness. Now go forth and do unto others…or however that goes.
Talk again soon. Glad you’re not all bored with this yet. Jim

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Fantastic! My goodness, that sure was fast! :stick_out_tongue: AWESOME answers, as usual!

I will come back with a question later, but for now I'd like to submit my guess for Janice's performer--pending Jim's nodding. Is it David Rudman? Thanks Jim!

JimJudy

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, and I have another question. Who is your favorite, non-major muppet, like background characters.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Jim,

Were there any definite plans for a third season of Muppets Tonight or was the show pulled by Disney Channel before talks of a third season could begin, etc.?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I can only recall one instance. At the top of “Muppet Classic Theater”, I was a penguin playing the clarinet (my old instrument from high school, by the way). You can tell it’s me, cause the penguin looks like it had a stroke.
First off, thanks for the PM dwayne, that was fast:smile:

Second a penguin with a stroke!:eek:. Thats interesting. Next time I watch that, I'll have to look out for your character. So I was wondering, do you think that in the near future that kermit will play the banjo for some reason? I mean, he played so beautifuly in The Muppet Movie, but I haven't seen him play agian. Also, while your talking about Clifford, do you think that Clifford would ever sit in with the Electric Mayhem agian, or was that just a one time thing. Thanks for answing my questions.:big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
First off, thanks for the PM dwayne, that was fast:smile:

Second a penguin with a stroke!:eek:. Thats interesting. Next time I watch that, I'll have to look out for your character. So I was wondering, do you think that in the near future that kermit will play the banjo for some reason? I mean, he played so beautifuly in The Muppet Movie, but I haven't seen him play agian. Also, while your talking about Clifford, do you think that Clifford would ever sit in with the Electric Mayhem agian, or was that just a one time thing. Thanks for answing my questions.:big_grin:
No problem buddy anytime! I was thinking why dont we ether open up a new thread or do it here. Lets vote on who you think gave Janice her voice on Studio DC? You know what i think i honestly think that Eric Jackabson did the voice!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
No problem buddy anytime! I was thinking why dont we ether open up a new thread or do it here. Lets vote on who you think gave Janice her voice on Studio DC? You know what i think i honestly think that Eric Jackabson did the voice!
Eric, eh? Alright, my vote goes to David Rudman.