The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well your welcome guys I do what i can. Speaking of doing what i can here are some answers, enjoy.

Asking Jim
Jim Answering 9.28.08

1. From AnimatedC9000: This I wanted to know for a while now: Jim, what is it like getting questions from all of these fans and answering them? Also, do you have an "inner Muppet/s" (a Muppet or Muppets that you feel that you're most like)?

Getting questions is wonderful. While the process of creating Muppet productions is very very collaborative, the early writing part is very solitary. In other words, I’m a lonely guy who likes to make people laugh. So when you write, I know you’re liking what we (I) am doing and I don’t feel lonely. I feel happy. I love this audience. For all these reasons, my inner Muppet is Fozzie.

2. From Ryan AKA (The Prawn): First of all... Thanks again Jim for answering! You ROCK, sir!

A few questions for you... How difficult is it for female Muppets to even be hammered out into full-fledged characters? A new one hasn't really been created since Muppets Tonight's Spamela Hamderson--and she WAS full-fledged... just in other places. Has this topic ever been brought up before? Or would new female characters just step on Miss Piggy's monopoly? Also, if you were playing Elevator Bingo... which floor would you choose?

Female characters. Ah yes, one of those enigmas wrapped in a conundrum here in the world of Muppets. I get where you’re going on the sly Spamela reference, and I remind you she’s made of foam. (Well, I guess that’s not uncommon here in Hollywood.) And while it’s true that Piggy casts a huge shadow, I think we’d all love to have another female or two in the mix. Creating a character that sticks is sticky. It’s a mix of writer, performer, designer, builder and then how that character actually interacts with our other characters. If you figure the formula for this that works, please please let me know.
As for elevator bingo, I firmly believe the only way to win is by not playing. But I’d still pick the 14th floor.

3. From Frogboy4 I have a question: Mr. Lewis, having worked so closely with all the intricately crafted Muppets - which character would be the most likely to end up missing and at your home and why (not that it would happen, of course)?

Fozzie, because he’s my inner Muppet, as noted above. But I’d never ever abscond with him…because it’s illegal, immoral and I’m a really really lousy puppeteer.

4. From TogetherAgain: Hello Jim! TogetherAgain here with another teensy little question (or two or three) for you. I was just wondering if you might happen to know how my little buddy Robin is doing. He's a good friend of mine, y'know. But I haven't really heard from him in a while. Is he in the swamp now? Still in Frog Scouts? Still five?

And while I'm asking about Robin--I'm not sure if this has already been asked or not--What is your personal take on why Kermit seems to have at least partial custody of Robin? Or is there no particular reason, and that's just sort of how it is?

Robin is doing swell. Sweet as ever, to be seen more of again soon I suspect. Still five or six or seven, I can never remember. Still in the swamp. As for Kermit’s custody situation—it’s one of those fictional amphibian bylaws that is beyond the understanding of mere humans.

5. From New person question asker Jimjudy: Hi Jim, this is JimJudy (Hopefully to soon get a new name unless you like it). I'm a new question asker dude. I would like to know two things.
(1.) If you ever wrote a famous Muppet Quote type of thing like Kermit's "Hi-Ho!" and such?

First of all, my wife’s name is Judy and as is the wont with married couples we are sometimes referred to as JimJudy when people don’t have the time to say our names separately. So I LOVE your name.
Second, I recently learned through a very reliable source that Kermit’s Hi ho should actually be Hey ho. Either way, I didn’t write that to begin with, it being a creation of Jim Henson. As for writing other character’s “catch phrases,u201D I can’t recall it ever happening. Usually the performer comes up with it during performance. But I’ll keep trying.
Was there a part two to this question? If so, it wasn’t included. Send it along, and I’ll give it a try.

Thanks always Jim from everyone on Muppet Central

theprawncracker

Reaction score
That is SO awesome! Thanks Dwayne/Jim/question askers! It sounds like Jim would like to see the other questions that were asked too!

JimJudy

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I'll keep my name like that. Thanks, and Jim would get part two next time the letters are sent, won't he?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
That's pretty cool, I'll keep my name like that. Thanks, and Jim would get part two next time the letters are sent, won't he?
Yes. And Dwayne just told me he sent them on to Jim right now, so we should have answers soon!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Raises hand. Hi, I have a question for Mr. Louis. It was mentioned in the article written/posted by Joe Hennes on www.toughpigs.com on September 9, 2008 that puppeteer Jane Gootnick is the one responsible for the recent appearance of the Swedish Chef's wedding ring. Exqueese me? When did the Chef get married? And who's the blushing bride? Did he provide catering for his own ceremony?
Also, along the same lines... There was a Muppet Show moment where Kermit talks to Sam, and the eagle confesses he's been married, and doesn't like to talk about his children... His daughter is dating an owl and his son left college. What more can you tell us about these? Are they characters that might get turned into actual Muppets at any point in the future?

This'd be great fanfic fodder. *Hint hint Prawny.
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and I hope you have a good day. :halo: