The Best/Worst Song Covers Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Best (parentesis original artist)

This is Halloween-Marylin Manson, and I hate him
I Need to Know-Poison (Tom Petty)
Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio-Kiss (The Ramones)
Little Red Riding Hood-Bowling for Soup (dont know)
I Don't Wanna Grow Up-the Ramones (again, dont know)
Born to Be Wild-Ozzy Osbourne/Miss Piggy (Steppenwolf *sp?*)

Worst
Surrender-Simple Plan (Cheap Trick) Talk about absolutly ruining a song...
Kidnap the Sandy Claws-She Wants Revenge...I think
This is Halloween-Panic at the Disco
Baby One More Time-Bowling for Soup (Brittany Spears) *facepalm*

Kiki

Reaction score
Oh my goodness, I completely forgot "With a Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker (originally by The Beatles)! I prefer his version by far. :big_grin:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I'm sorry but Sheryl Crow had NO BUSSINESS what so ever doing a cover of Guns "N" Roses' Sweet Child of Mine. Don't get me wrong, I think Crow a talent songwriter and singer so it was sad and overall disappointing the way she just TOTALLY BUTCHERED that song.

Also I remember when I first got my copy of Disney's Jungle Book "Special Edition" DVD. I was checking out the "special features" and could not believe how AWFUL the Jonas Brothers made King Louie's song-"I Wanna Be Like You." At the time, I really didn't know much about the Jonas Brothers, so I check it out and I could NOT make it all the way though. They also did an AWFUL just AWFUL verison of Ursula's (From the Little Mermaid) "Poor Unfortunate Souls." Those are GREAT Disney songs and I understand the Jonas Brothers are the "hott" band from Disney right now, but please keep them away from the classics, :sympathy:.

Also Celine Dion did a cover of AC/DC's "You Shock Me All Night Long" and it sucked.

Mariah Carey did Def Leppard's "Bringing on the Heartbreak" and that was tough. I'm sure Def Leppard didn't have a problem since it became a huge hit for Carey and therefore made Leppard some more money, but still, it was BAD.

Never heard any of Miley Cyrus' cover songs and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

As for "best covers" hmmm, that's a one to think about.

Since people have already mention Muppets into the fold, can't forget about their AWESOME verison of Queen's Bohemain Rhapsody.

Ozzy Osburne did a pretty neat cover of Bee Gee's "Stayin Alive."

I enjoyed Mariyn Mason's cover of "Tainted Love" originally by Soft Cell much more than his cover of "Sweet Dreams (are made of these)" oringinally by Eurythmics. But his best cover would probably have to be Danny Elfman's "This is Halloween" from the Nightmare Before Christmas.

If you're a fan of "punk" music, check out the band "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes." They do some pretty cool covers, one of which was Rainbow Connection which is heard at the end of "Kermit's Swamp Years."

Speaking of Rainbow Connection, this song was covered very VERY well by Willie Nelson and Sarah Mclachian both.

Ray Charles also did a great cover of "Bein Green."

Steven Taylor of Aerosmith did a really cool and rocking cover of Oscar the Grouch's "I love Trash."

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Just remembered some for best: The British Invasion. They're a Beatles cover band, and they perform at the U.K. pavilion at Disney World's Epcot World Showcase. When we saw them on vacation, they played "With a Little Help from My Friends", "Yellow Submarine", etc.

Kiki

Reaction score
Has anybody heard Derek And The Dominoes cover "Little Wing"? It's fantastic, really heavy (as in bluesy).
I enjoyed Mariyn Mason's cover of "Tainted Love" originally by Soft Cell much more than his cover of "Sweet Dreams (are made of these)" oringinally by Eurythmics.
Mm, agreed!

SillyRed

Reaction score
The Dixie Chicks also covered "Rainbow Connection" for Mary Had A Little Amp also.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Worst: Every out of tune cover out there on youtube, LOL. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Alanis Morrisette's cover of the Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" really improves upon the original. The original was supposed to be an over-the-top parody of misogynistic mainstream rap (I had no idea it was supposed to be a parody at first), but it's pretty much impossible to outdo that, so it ended up sounding no different than what they were trying to parody.

However, Morrisette really shows us how stupid these songs are with her typical angsty style, thus getting the point across much better. :big_grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmYfVCH2UA

Sesame Seeds

Reaction score
So many come to mind but these two jump out first

BEST
I can't stand the rain - Missy Elliot

WORST
Redemption Song - Rihanna

dwmckim

Reaction score
Oh - i had forgotten about this - one of the all time best album of cover versions out there is a cd released around 1990 or 91 called Red Hot & Blue which was various artists doing cover versions of Cole Porter songs to benefit AIDS research/education. Nearly every track is a winner with my favorites being Erasure's Too Darn Hot and Debbie Harry/Iggy Pop's What a Swell Party This Is