The Best of The Muppets

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I recently aquired a still from The Muppet Show with Rita Moreno.

I bought it because it was unusual, And i liked the picture... I just expected it to be a plain old still.

But it turns out that it was a Promotional Picture for The Best of The Muppets one hour compilation !

- Click Here -

Does any one know anything more about this ?

Thanks

scarecroe

Reaction score
I always wondered why Animal looked so screwed up in that photo.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Because Rita Moreno just hit him in the head with the symbols.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Re: Guys,

Originally posted by *Warrick*
Because Rita Moreno just hit him in the head with the symbols.
Well, yeah, sure, but he never looked like that in the episode! He just looks wrong, lol!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Scott,

I guess it was just done for Promotion.

see ya

scarecroe

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured as such, but MAN (!), he just looks ALL mucked up! Disturbingly so :frown: :eek:

David French

Reaction score
Well done everyone; I've been trying to find info about that compilation for some time now.

Here's what we know about season one in the UK - ATV began airing the series on 5 September, 1976 beginning with the Joel Grey episode. Airings continued for another 15 straight weeks, but then the show was taken off the air for Christmas week (which wasn't that unusual for the time). The series comes back in the new year for five straight weeks but then ATV ends up playing a whole series of re-runs, presumably from February to April. From what I understand this compilation special included a clip from the Ethel Merman show. The interesting thing about that is that's the same date that ATV began airing the last three shows of Season One. So that would suggest that ATV aired *two* episodes of TMS that weekend. Unfortunately I don't know the timeslot or order that they aired in and despite my best efforts Granada International (who own the ITC archive) have never answered an email I sent them regarding the compilation. Unless we uncover some contemporary documentation or a copy of the whole show then we still don't know the full answer to what was shown and why they decided on doing this special in the first place.

Nevertheless, I will update the TMS article on Muppet Wiki with this new info. Well done again folks.

One other thing, that still would have been taken during the taping of the Rita Moreno episode. It won't be one they took especially to promote this special.