The ask Jim Lewis thread is now open

dwayne1115

Reaction score
So who is doing what im confused are you sending some more qusetions or am i lol

Beauregard

Reaction score
I know I said earlier that I didn't have a question...well, I picked one up yesterday. Jim, you know that we loved Before You Leap, but I was wondering how the world in general loved it. Did it sell well? I know how to check movie-sales on the web, but not book-sales. Was it popular? Are we likely to see aother book in the future?

Bea:zany:{As usual, I don't mind if the question is answered or not answered, I'm just curious.}regard

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Thank you yet again for being so sweet and considerate in doing this. My question is more about the writing aspect, since you are of course a writer.
Just recently, the idea occurred to me that since I've dedicated myself to knowing, not necessarily everything, but a lot about all things muppet-Henson, like children and do enjoy writing at least in small incriments, maybe I should try my hand at writing muppet or maybe Sesame Street books for children! Of course there are already several books like this out there and they are rather popular, so why not have one more writer turning out a few more?
My question is, do you have any sort of advice for people trying to break in to muppet writing? Puppeteers send in tapes. What do writers do? Keep in mind that I'm not anything resembling an English major or even minor in college. Am I completely crazy, or do I stand a chance out there?
:crazy:

Thank you,
Kate

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well here we go some more answers to yall's questions.

The Fan Based Interview for Jim Lewis

by the wonderful fans at Muppet Centeral

1. Did Jim co-write Muppet Classic Theater? It's not on his wiki page, but I could have sworn I saw his name on the credits when the kid I was babysitting for was watching it tonight. But I was dancing along to the Elvises *blush* so it was only a passing glance.

I did co-write that with Bill Prady. One of my all-time favorites, as I say elsewhere in these answers. The songs, the foolishness, the Gonzo/Rizzo business—it all seemed to work, at least for me. Glad you liked it.

2. Do you happen to know what special effects were used to make bubbles come out of Bill the Bubble Guy's head? Of course, that's assuming that you got to see the puppet in person, and saw how it worked.

I do know, but if I told you I’d have to kill you…..Seriously, that was a brilliant effect (one of millions) created by the Muppet Workshop and, if my memory serves me right, the legendary Fred Bucholtz. With Dave Goelz as Bill, it’s another unsung classic.

3. Do you think that its possable to have The Muppet Show back on air with new seasons to continue the show?

Anything is possible. But like a puppet, I sit in a drawer waiting to be used, so I know nothing to confirm or deny this wonderful possibility. Let me know if you hear anything.

4. Some people think that what the Muppets really need is for Frank Oz to return in some way as a director or a performer what do you think?

I think I’ve been blessed to work with Frank. Smart guy. Darn funny, too. Would I love to work with him again? You betcha. Say more, I cannot.

5. Has Jerry Nelson's recent retirement been the only reason we haven't seen Robin the Frog around hardly at all anymore? Because some of Jerry's other characters, such as Floyd, Lew Zealand, and Crazy Harry have all been recast wonderfully, and I'm wondering why the same hasn't been done for Robin.

A good question. I’d like to think that when the right project arises, Robin will pop up again.

6. There has been rumors about a show coming that the Muppets are doing that will be teaching kids about tec things, and also could posablity change the character of the muppets can you shed some light on this rumor.

I heard it here first…in your question. That’s a new one to me, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t set to go on air and come out in a boxed set next week. I’m just a guy in a drawer waiting

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Wheee! What great answers! Thanks Dwayne, Jim! Lemme know, Dwayne if you want me to send the next batch of questions.

Jim, my question is about fan-work. What are you and aren't you allowed to read through? I assume you're not supposed to even glance at fan-fiction, correct? But what about art work and the like? Are you allowed to look at that?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yea sure that sounds good you can do that im totaly cool with that.

Here is my next question.

what if any difrences is Jim henson as a boss to Brian Henson?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Seriously, that was a brilliant effect (one of millions) created by the Muppet Workshop and, if my memory serves me right, the legendary Fred Bucholtz. With Dave Goelz as Bill, it’s another unsung classic.
That's a shame. It's been reported that Jim Henson didn't keep many secrets. I wonder if he would have made this an exception.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really don’t know the story behind Beau’s use in those various productions. For me, speaking generally, the answer is simple: Certain characters drive a scene or a story (e.g. Gonzo, Fozzie, Pepe, Rizzo, and of course Kermit and Piggy, to name but a few). Some characters are great as punctuation to a scene (e.g. Statler & Waldorf, Sam, Animal). Beauregard falls into this latter category. But his reactions tend to be so subtle and heart-tugging, that he can only be used in certain situations. Jerry Juhl was a master of this—using Beau to evoke comedy and emotion at the same time. I am not a master of subtlety, so I don’t always think to put Beau in a scene. That’s my excuse. I’ll work on it.
I wonder if that's why Seymour hasn't been used at all since Muppets Tonight. He seemed to have a simialr personality and effect. Then again, it seems like most dumb fictional characters are like that, though the original dumb Big Bird wasn't (at least based on what I've seen of Big Bird during the first season of Sesame Street).