The All-Purpose Transformers thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
While we have a thread for Robots in Disguise on Cartoon Network, I think we should have one where fans could talk about any Transformers TV show, toyline, comic book, movie, you name it.

Let me start this off by saying that, while I do enjoy Rescue Bots and its sharp writing for a post-preschool show, I sure as Elmo don't want to live in Griffin Rock. With all its accident-prone citizens, dangerous human villains, and corrupt leadership, it somehow seems a lot worse compared to places on Earth where Decepticons attack with frequency. Those Rescue Bots sure have a lot of patience with the humans there. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I for one am happy as heck that Shout factory decided to Re-release the original animated movie, hopefully having a better in print window than Sony's last release. It's almost as if that thing was only available for a couple months, and if you didn't snatch it up right straight away, you'd have to deal with the scalpers. So now I might get an opportunity to grab one. Wonder iof G.I. Joe the movie's still in print.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I for one am happy as heck that Shout factory decided to Re-release the original animated movie, hopefully having a better in print window than Sony's last release. It's almost as if that thing was only available for a couple months, and if you didn't snatch it up right straight away, you'd have to deal with the scalpers. So now I might get an opportunity to grab one. Wonder iof G.I. Joe the movie's still in print.
Too bad they still can't get a proper release of the G1 My Little Pony series. Even the recent 30th anniversary release still uses the crappy Disney Channel cuts rather than the syndicated originals.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Shout seems to be subject to whatever cuts of the source materials they're sent. That's a shame since Nick gave them the edited cuts of certain Rocko episodes, even though some of the "The Splat" prints of the show have the adult bits in tact. I say some, since "Hut Sut Raw" (stupid name I don't get even in context) still has the berry picking scene cut out.

But I was hoping that the movie would get a re-release. Anniversary year aside, the toylines seemed to pay homage to the movie with the release of more merchandise featuring Rodimus, Wreck-Gar, Galvatron, Cyclonus and the like. Characters introduced in the movie that carried on to the last season of the original series. And this spread out over the entire product line out (minus RID for obvious reasons). Cyclonus, Galvatron, and Wreck-Gar all had small representation in the "Tiny Titans" line, several Platinum sets are clearly movie based, the upcoming "Titans Return" (where every character is a Headmaster) has several post movie characters present. I'm glad I finally managed to get the "Combiner Wars" Wreck-Gar after months of waiting for Target to get the fifth and sixth wave (darn Autobot Groove was clogging up the pegs). And while he may not be the best Wreck-Gar toy out there, he's certainly the most accessible and easiest to afford.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So it looks like Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime is finally going to be in a Bayformers flick after being rumored the past 3 movies now. Unfortunately, he doesn't look all that impressive.

So, anyone collect the "Tiny Titans" bagged figures that you can easily see who you're getting if you hold the bag up to the light and press the thin bag's plastic so you can see the name on the card, provided you don't have the instructions for the App game in the way?

I've noticed that their collections have started to contain Transformers: The Movie debuting characters since series 2. They released Unicron in series 6, as well as previously releasing Ultra Magnus, Wreck-Gar, Cyclonus, and Galvatron. Surprised that there hasn't been a Rodimus Prime yet, considering the fact his toy production has picked up a bit to the point he was a Hero Mashers figure.

Also, they managed to get in 2 Beast Wars characters (Megatron and Cheetor), one of the two Robots who's toy molds come from an anime called Special Armored Battalion Dorvack (Road Buster), and even bayformers Megatron and the other Robots in Disguise cartoon's breakout character Skybyte.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I think the montage of QUALITY CGI in Energon deserves a re-post here.

And like, it's no wonder they decided to go back to using 2D robots in Animated when they look so stiff and lifeless here. They were able to nail it a lot better with Rescue Bots since they started using it on them in the 2nd season.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Animated was an entire brand relaunch, even though the movies started coming up around that time. From what I can condense the story into its basic form, Beast Machine was to be followed up by another American/Canadian produced series, but the reception for Beast Machines was so bad, they took a Japanese series and dubbed it as a slapdash replacement until they could relaunch the brand again. And yet, that slapdash, probably forgettable otherwise got a decent dub, and was a fun little cartoons series, even in Japan. The Unicron Trilogy (what the series of three anime that followed Robots in Disguise '01 is called) was co-ordinated by Hasbro and the Japanese production team, but botched all along the way by various production problems, of which the guiltiest was Energon. And in a horribly divided fanbase like Transformers, the common ground is that Energon is the nadir of Transformers productions. Even worse reception than the movies. And the thing that kinda sucks is that they brought back the Beast Wars VA's for Megatron and Optimus. Too bad they didn't bring back the writers to write a competent dub.

That said, the CGI/2-D blend in Kirby Right back At yah, which was made about the same time, was far more fluid and fit in more with the series. Still completely obvious, but at least in the second ha;f of the episodes, when they really got things working, DeeDeeDee, Kirby, and Escargoon looked a lot better.

As for Animated, I think they just wanted something to contrast with the movies. Kinda sucked that half the problem with the show was the big box stores pushed the merchandising around because it wasn't movie merchandise, and that was half the reason the show was canned after 3 seasons. They've been a little more careful with Prime and its role between movies, and especially RID'15. That's why it's probably going to end with the next season, to make room for "The Last Knight" merchandise.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I wonder if Rescue Bots will get a 5th season? The upcoming two-part season finale implies that it will be the last, as Dr. Morocco will exact his vengeance once again, and the breather episode before it was about Cody finally accepting what kind of rescue operator he wants to be when he grows up. Of course, we still have Quint Quarry and Lord Chumley to worry about.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about a renewal and the TV Listing has the banner for finale, though sometimes that's just for season finales. I'd say the program would continue as long as the toy line lasts. I'm not holding my breath for a 5th season, but I'm not going to be surprised if there's another one. That said, not only is it the first Transformers series to gain a fourth season, but also the longest running TF series, beating the original cartoon's run by 6 episodes.