The 7th Annual Muppet Central Forum Awards Ceremony

Luke

Reaction score
might i suggest at this point just posting the winners on one big thread...i mean its all fun the i love the thread so far seeing everyone here and the videos posted but it may be better in the long run and more organized
Can totally see what you mean but I think it'd be a shame to change things mid flow so to speak. Maybe if they just set a time and move it along quickly. Dwayne and helpers have done a great job thus far.

But if I could suggest for future years maybe having a lot less categories, and maybe doing the voting via online web polls (like the muppetfans.com tournament is). And then doing the results they could record a webcast or audio podcast announcing it like the original awards for those that want the 'full experience' and just post a list for those that want a quick read. That way you could play in the musical numbers or video clips. Make it entertaining but also easier and less complicated and lengthy to vote. I was kinda critical of continuing the awards at first because only a few people vote and adding more categories made it all the more lengthy and discouraging. It was taking the awards, knowing the reason why people don't take part ... And then doing exactly the same thing. It isn't really the way to go if you want the awards to represent the entire community.

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
^^; Heh, I'm so late it's crazy! Congrats to all the winners so far! :3 The grand finale is going to be a blast!

dwmckim

Reaction score
might i suggest at this point just posting the winners on one big thread...i mean its all fun the i love the thread so far seeing everyone here and the videos posted but it may be better in the long run and more organized
Already ahead of you - i came up with the same idea last year and a thread was created that just lists the winners of each years' awards so one doesn't have to go through a big long thread to see them. After the hosts finally finish announcing all the awards, this years' awards will be added. But i don't want to do so before they're done.

Not to take away from the job that dwayne1115 and Aaron are doing, but they stepped up and volunteered to be hosts and Ryan chose them before he bowed out and i had faith in his decision. Next year, whoever the hosts are, i'm going to insist they adhere to a schedule so it doesn't spill over the way it has this year. (People have to return those rented tuxes, doncha know?)

A whopping five awards were added this year - and they were things that quite honestly should have been added a long time ago to recognize important but previously overlooked areas. I don't think there's too many - the more variety, the more people can potentially win - but again, we had some issues with the distribution.

I'm open to easier processes of voting, but at the same time they have to be fair. Muppet Madness and similar web poll setups allow people to vote over and over again and stuff the ballot box. I don't want the awards polluted by multiple votes or votes that can't be verified (non-members, etc)

Yeah, a podcast would have been nice - but since MC isn't part of the "Muppet Fans" monop...uh...network or hub or whatever you want to call it, Muppetcast doesn't seem interested in including them anymore. But quite honestly, in all fairness, since they are for a certain community, i doubt any Muppetcast listeners (or any other site) are all that interested in hearing a list of names from a different site's internal awards. It may be fun for us, but anyone who's not involved with MC may find it pointless.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well in my defence I thought i was only doing half of the awards, and then Arron bowed out at the last second. Then I was raceing to get everything set and this that and everything. By the time I got half way done with the first awards I was wore out, but It was still fun, and I enjoyed doing it. Last night I really do want to appologize I had to wake up at 6am to be at work at 7 and then I worked untill 4 on a busy weekend. I was going to try and do the last part of the awards, but the second I set down I was out cold.
I kind of think we should start all over with the ceremony, I know we have already gone through half, but now that I know what I'm doing, and to give the people that are acutily getting an award the chance to be here for that. Tonight I really have a lot going on, and wont be able to do the awards like I would like, but anytime thoughout the I am fine.
Again I'm sorry about not finishing the awards on friday, but I had a blast doing it, and want to finish or resrart what I started. I just hope that the fans still want me to host.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Do ytou mean, starting over from the very first award? The long lag is anticlimactic enough, but starting from square one so we can have several hours of reruns... I don't know how many people would show up for that. I wouldn't.

I'd suggest setting a date and time tonight--sometime tomorrow evening, perhaps--and holding the rest of the award ceremony then, on time, and at a decent pace.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I think that starting over would be a little much. But I agree with finding a time to do it, letting people know and just busting it out. No offence to anyone but I think the time should be set more with the hosts' schedules in mind instead of ours. It's nice to be here for it but it won't matter if the hosts aren't here.

Lil0Vampy

Reaction score
I agree, starting over from the beginning wouldn't be the best idea, in my opinion.

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah, a podcast would have been nice - but since MC isn't part of the "Muppet Fans" monop...uh...network or hub or whatever you want to call it, Muppetcast doesn't seem interested in including them anymore. But quite honestly, in all fairness, since they are for a certain community, i doubt any Muppetcast listeners (or any other site) are all that interested in hearing a list of names from a different site's internal awards. It may be fun for us, but anyone who's not involved with MC may find it pointless.
I know what you mean ... though putting together something nice independant of the whole "Muppet Fans" thing may be possible with a volunteer or two from here recording some audio and someone editing it together. Then again, maybe people prefer it in text so they can role play.

As for the amount of awards, however appropriate .. looking at a text list of 30 awards and being expected to vote from memory if you haven't been on the forums 24/7 for a year is hard ... at least i found it that way. They could be a lot more accessible to casual visitors if they were cut down, or if the voting was done week by week in sections so it didn't take so long and maybe included a bit of bio or recap of why people have been nominated. I honestly cannot remember what post #278 was in 'MC Community: Where is it going?' without searching. Just a suggestion, if you want these awards to be "inclusive" and encourage people who just drop by to be able to vote easy. But most of all, if people are putting in effort, i wish the site helped you guys by at least putting out an email or something or having a banner on the forum since it is a celebration of the site and all the years its been going. If they have ever been asked.

I think including links to videos in the awards text was a nice touch, whoever thought of that. :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
dwayne, you're doing fine given the circumstances. I agree, it's best to not start over and pick up where you left off. At the end, all the winners will be put in the awards winner thread anyway. Since it's been a learn-as-you-go experience, i think you've had a pretty good crash course already and you already know what's worked and what hasn't and what's best to do as you continue. Keep it fun but efficient. We're all rooting for you and behind you! Besides, what's a Muppet-themed undertaking without a few hiccups? (Now off to fetch a spoonful of sugar to deal with those hic-hic-hiccups...)

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I think you're doing a bang-up job, Dwayne. I just think if we could move it along a bit more quickly it would build up the excitement some. But other than that I think it's been fun for everybody and you're handling yourself like a real pro, Dwayne! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the rest of the results soon.