The 25th Anniversary of The Muppet Movie

Super Scooter

Reaction score
This year, 2004, marks the 25th Anniversary of a truly beloved film: The Muppet Movie.

After the success of The Muppet Show, Jim Henson and his troupe decided to hit the silver screen way back in 1979. The film that explains "sort of aproximately" how the Muppets got started was a success, and was Jim's way of showing off. He out-did himself.

Now with the 25th Anniversary Year, it brings the question to mind "how does the Jim Henson Company plan to celebrate this event?"

Well, we know a few things. This year marks the release of the rumored Muppet Wizard of Oz. While not what most might expect to celebrate, it's a good start. The Wizard of Oz was a favorite of Jim Henson, and it would make a nice tribute to him.

What else? Action figures, various Muppet merchandise, but nothing that really points to The Muppet Movie as of yet.

What do you think of The Muppet Movie? The Anniversary? What's your favorite memories of the film? You can discuss it all here...

Happy Anniversary!

dmx10101

Reaction score
I liked the rainbow connection song and the Doc Hopper parts. Oh and the huge animal.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, Palisades has an awesome Kermit/banjo PVC due out!

Klonoa

Reaction score
The Muppet Movie was the very first movie I can actually remember seeing in a theater. Big flashbacks whenever I watch it again. I also had a record album of The Muppet Movie songs, so 'Rainbow Connection' and 'Movin' Right Along' are pretty familiar tunes to me. It's been a while since I've watched that movie. Might dig it out this weekend.

--Klonoa

Pug Lover

Reaction score
My very first time seeing The Muppet Movie was at a drive-in movie place one beautiful summer night in 1979.My mom,her friend and her three children,and I went there to see it together in my mom's car.I have no particular favourite scene in the movie itself.It was just so much fun for me,my mom and our friends watching it at the drive-in.I've always loved drive-in movie places! :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah, drive-in theaters are a lot of fun. Especially when it's a double-feature. Whenever we go to one, we always order a pizza from the snack counter during the intermission between the two movies.

There was a showing of The Muppet Movie at the Prince Theater in Philadelpia a little while ago. Some of the Tough Pigs forum members went. You can read about the sing-along event here: Hold On To Young: My day with the Muppet Movie Sing-Along.
Danny Horn gives an interesting perspective on what the Muppets need to do in order to capture the magic once again in the article.

King Prawn

Reaction score
I really hope (and think it's very possible) that this year we'll see a The Muppet Movie Special Edition release on DVD.

Fingers crossed everybody :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
What kind of special features do you want? I think the current DVD is just fine.

King Prawn

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
What kind of special features do you want? I think the current DVD is just fine.
They can easily make a great Special Edition out of this. Release it in a nice slip case with as many special features as pssoible, for starters how about a commentary by either Brian Henson or some Muppet's themselves, the special The Muppets Go To Hollywood, Add a game or two in their, deleated scenes etc...