The “What did you do today?” thread

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Too many to list here, but mostly Latin percussion and hand drums, triangle, tambourine, shakers, and cymbals. I'm practicing the vibraphone, xylophone, timpani, and bell parts on an electronic keyboard since there is no room for all of those instruments in our pit.

I've been a drummer and percussionist for over ten years, so I'm pretty comfortable with these parts. On the other hand, I've been playing keyboards for only about two years. I'm not Daniel Barenboim or Lang Lang by any stretch, but I think I can hold my own on simple things if I have enough time to practice.

West Side Story is full of contemporary jazz and Latin music ("Cool," "Mambo," and "America"), while Seussical contains whimsical pop, Latin grooves, folk ballads, and gospel ("Oh The Thinks You Can Think," "Amazing Mayzie," "Solla Sollew," and "Biggest Blame Fool"). In short, both musicals have MANY styles of music that each musician must be prepared to play for long periods of time. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it if you're into this kind of stuff.
So you can't do some of those instruments by hand and you have to use a keyboard instead of the real things?

cjd874

Reaction score
So you can't do some of those instruments by hand and you have to use a keyboard instead of the real things?
Yes, but only because there's no space for actual timpani, vibes, and xylophones. A keyboard is much more compact.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Yes, but only because there's no space for actual timpani, vibes, and xylophones. A keyboard is much more compact.
That's how my high school's band is like. Same with the marching band I'm sure.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Yesterday: wrote another chapter on a twisted puppet horror novel. Pleased with progress thus far. Today, worked a little OT...need to save up as we have several birthdays in the family this month.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Since it's Nostalgia Critic's 10th anniversary, I spent about nine hours binge watching my favorite episodes today: mostly pre-2013 episodes.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Since it's Nostalgia Critic's 10th anniversary, I spent about nine hours binge watching my favorite episodes today: mostly pre-2013 episodes.
I've been doing that on and off for the past couple days, except i've sprinkled in a few Nostalgia Chick videos as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Never was a fan of her. Like Nostalgia Critic but less torture and more corpsing.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
She's not quite as good, but her videos are at least pretty fun a lot of the time, and she gets her points across. The Critic is more laugh out loud hilarious, while Lindsay gets a chuckle for her dry wit.