Talkin' Mouthplates Here

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Thanks Warrick!

You just seem to be the guy who always answers my questions. Thanks yet again. I'd still like to hear other's opinions on the subject however, especially if you use a different technique.

I'm changing the base material to a more solid polyfoam by the way. None of the round headed monsters (Oscar, Elmo, Grover, etc.) seem to have or need a material as flexible as neoprene for the head.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Foob,

No problem, Im glad I can help someone else to make a Puppet !

When i make puppets tho, i dont use foam. So far my experiences with it havent been good, But i only had one try and gave up - LOL!

I love the effect of a full fleece and fabric puppet.

When I make a Puppet I make the mouth from 'Funky Foam', it comes in all colors and is the thickness of a mouse mat.

I make a Red mouth, Then use Pink for the tongue and paint the black part on. Ping Pong Balls mostly for eyes... Today i just used fake eyelashes too !
Ill show pics once the new Puppet is fully complete !

I always make a pattern too, Well i just make a new one and see how it turns out. Thankfully most come out good !

Then sew both sides of the pattern, Then sew the mouth in.
Fill the head with stuffing, Then put the eyes on.

Making the clothes yourself is alot of fun too!

I really want to make myself a Grover and Kermit, But I just dont know where to start.

see ya

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
Warrick, while I have ya here...When you did your foam puppet did you do a two piece head (left side/right side) or a three piece head (top front-face/top back-back of head/bottom front-jaw)?

Just curious. For my young grouch creature I'm going with a three piece design, but I'm doing a dog creature as a two piece really soon.

The Grouch has a black interior mouth with a pink/purple tongue. The material sounds similar to your funky foam. It's a soft and very flexible foam mate about a few centimeters think.

The dog is going to be closer to the mouth you described, but inside a longish snout, hopefully with teeth like Animal.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Foob,

Sorry but i cant help you there.
I took a peice of foam, Carved Gonzo's nose and mouth out of it and then left it - LOL!

But once your done, Id like to know how you did it !

And see pics too !

see ya

BorkBork

Reaction score
Warrick

Warrick, i have seen your pics of your puppets, and they are awesome :smile:

I was thinking...do you think it would be easier to attach the mouthplate to the fleece before attaching it to the foam? So that i first put the fleece on the mouth then the mouth inside the foam, and then pull the fleece over the foam-head...i hope you understand...

video567

Reaction score
i would like to know what borkbork is saying also.. iafter i make my foam puppet mouth i dont understan how to attach the fleece so it would all fit together

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Anders,

Im really not sure.
With mine i sew the mouthplate into the Fleece then fill it with stuffing.
Maybe that would be the same as the foam, But i dont want you to make a mistake.

see ya

vaderdentist

Reaction score
I have made two different mouths for my foam/fleece puppets:

rigid for Pepe, and soft for Kermit

for rigid I use foamboard from art supply stores
I cut out the top and bottom and glue them wrong side down onto black sweat shirt material. When dry, close the mouth and cut more fabric for the inside of the mouth............glue this too.
Now you have the basic mouth...........I use finger holds made from tubular foam insulation for pipes.......from wal mart..........glued in place and then fabric+glue to tack it firmly in place on the top and bottom of the mouth. The rest is just foam and fleece

for soft, I use that craft foam (comes in all colors) and do exactly the same thing as the rigid, but the mouth is flexible like Kermit's mouth allowing you to do facial expressions.

It really is that simple. Try it you will love it!

And yes these ideas came straight out of the Foam Book.

Dave :smile:
here is a pic of my Kermit puppet:

Again, tell me what you think

BorkBork

Reaction score
nice, man! Did you use antron fleece or felt on this kermit-puppet?