Sweeney Todd Trailer!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I first became familiar with the play about 9 years ago, when my cousin went to see it in high school and then bought the cast recording, in preparation for her school's preformance of it. Even though the play was rather dark, I enjoyed it a lot!
Then I saw the movie, which thanks to you Tony I now know was released in 1936, and was a bit disapointed at it's lack of music, and it's appearent deviation from the plot. Again thanks to Tony, I now know the truth of it. I should really rent it again now that I know the full story...
I would love to see the new movie! Hmmm, I wonder if I can get my cousin to see it with me, because I know my mom won't...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I first became familiar with the play about 9 years ago, when my cousin went to see it in high school and then bought the cast recording, in preparation for her school's preformance of it. Even though the play was rather dark, I enjoyed it a lot!
Then I saw the movie, which thanks to you Tony I now know was released in 1936, and was a bit disapointed at it's lack of music, and it's appearent deviation from the plot. Again thanks to Tony, I now know the truth of it. I should really rent it again now that I know the full story...
I would love to see the new movie! Hmmm, I wonder if I can get my cousin to see it with me, because I know my mom won't...
Thanks, Kate, glad I could help!

I actually have never seen the 1936 movie, but if you enjoyed the play, you should enjoy Tim Burton's take on it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:eek: Critics have welcomed the new Sweeney Todd, but people seem to be skipping it. Not even $10M opening weekend? I know National Treasure's out and little is going to touch that at this time of year, but opening at fifth behind two second-week releases is surprising! I will be seeing the film. Initial openings tend to predict audience trends more than actual film quality. That doesn't say much about the current movie going public. :sympathy:

All the ads I've seen look good. The singing, well, I knew that would be off. The roles were cast for creative/acting appeal rather than Broadway stage performance. I like Sondheim, but are any of the songs good? I haven't seen this musical in any form. I remember being disappointed with the musical aspect of Elfman's work in Corpse Bride. Fine music, but easily forgettable. :smirk:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
:eek: Critics have welcomed the new Sweeney Todd, but people seem to be skipping it. Not even $10M opening weekend? I know National Treasure's out and little is going to touch that at this time of year, but opening at fifth behind two second-week releases is surprising! I will be seeing the film. Initial openings tend to predict audience trends more than actual film quality. That doesn't say much about the current movie going public. :sympathy:

All the ads I've seen look good. The singing, well, I knew that would be off. The roles were cast for creative/acting appeal rather than Broadway stage performance. I like Sondheim, but are any of the songs good? I haven't seen this musical in any form. I remember being disappointed with the musical aspect of Elfman's work in Corpse Bride. Fine music, but easily forgettable. :smirk:
Danny Elfman isn't involved in this film in any way.

The songs are some of Sondheim's best, IMO. My favorites include "The Worst Pies In London," "Pretty Women," "The Contest" (a great showcase for Sacha Baron Cohen, who steals every scene he's in) and "Johanna."

I didn't expect "Sweeney Todd" to sweep the box office this weekend. It's not exactly family friendly, and is more graphic than Burton's "Sleepy Hollow." Depp, Bonham Carter, Cohen, Rickman and Spall are excellent, as are the relative newcomers who play the lovers Anthony and Johanna, and the boy who plays Tobias.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
It's dissapointing that this movie didn't open well this weekend, but it's almost to be expected. A "R" rated movie for the holidays? It's not the feel good movie of the season. I just can't see many people going to see such a grim movie this time of year, no matter how much critics rave about it.

I enjoyed the music very much. I can't judge from past productions, since this is the first time I've seen it, sadly. (I've been wanting to see the original broadway cast though for years. I hear there was a version of it on DVD)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Danny Elfman isn't involved in this film in any way.

The songs are some of Sondheim's best, IMO. My favorites include "The Worst Pies In London," "Pretty Women," "The Contest" (a great showcase for Sacha Baron Cohen, who steals every scene he's in) and "Johanna."

I didn't expect "Sweeney Todd" to sweep the box office this weekend. It's not exactly family friendly, and is more graphic than Burton's "Sleepy Hollow." Depp, Bonham Carter, Cohen, Rickman and Spall are excellent, as are the relative newcomers who play the lovers Anthony and Johanna, and the boy who plays Tobias.
I found it interesting and odd that Burton was flying on this film without his music copilot Elfman. I remember looking that up when first spotting the film's posters. The compositions I've heard promoting the film haven't been that impressive, but Sondheim is often hit-or-miss with me.

I remember not caring for Into The Woods when I was younger. Much of it seemed like spoken-word or filler music to carpet between showstoppers that never came. Not bad, just not noteworthy. Many of my friends don't agree. I need to revisit that soundtrack as it has been at least a decade since hearing it. I'm much more of a Cole Porter, Ashman/Menken, Gershwin fan. However, as stated, I do enjoy much of Sondheim.

I still don't see why the film opened so low? I was expecting at least 20. Maybe I'll see it twice just because. :wink:

Telly

Reaction score
I have to go to a different city to see it because I was cursed with having Marcus Theaters monopolizing the cinemas in my city. :boo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The film's probably not doing well because it's not really a family film. Oh well, I'll still get around to seeing it.

::shrugs:: I have always adored Into the Woods, it's funny, clever and very insightful. :smile:

hollylime

Reaction score
I saw Sweeny Todd and it was really good. Very funny, I enjoyed it. I thought the part where Johnny Depp said something about the blade being the end of his hand was, obviously very in-character, but also a throw-back to Edward Scissor Hands. It was really cool.

The music was fantastic! The singing was superb!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from seeing it with my cousin, and I loved it! Johnny Depp is actually a much better singer than I gave him credit for! I'll give more of my opinions later; right now I'm too tired to formulate them propperly.