Suprise Live Kermit Appearance on UK TV

Luke

Reaction score
Indeed. I take my hat off to him. Best Muppet appearance in years, it was on a par with Pepe introducing models wearing Muppet underwear on "The Other Half". I never thought they'd beat that. We must find a way to get it on the web.

Whataday

Reaction score
If someone could mail a copy to me, I could get it up on the web.

Pigpen

Reaction score
I work on the show...

Hi Guys,

What was going to be a humdrum day at work with only the aftershow party to look forward to turned into something totally different when Steve entered the studio.

Ant and Dec weren't suposed to know who the celebrity guest was and it was a well kept secret. They rehearsed the blues bros tune during the day with a member of the band and were none the wiser.

When they left the studio (and just before lunch) Steve arrived and recorded the fast talking bits (Kermits solo) of the music nuber as he was worried about getting it right on the night. He did it in Two! Not bad!! Then we recorded the VT segments where Kermit was in the suit and interacted with the band. Very funny and the best bits didn't make the cut!!(too long I guess) Then we rehearsed it from the top with standins for Ant & Dec.

We had one box for Kermits intro (It was my job to rig the mini plasma screens in the box for Steve) and when Kermit left frame after telling the boys what their task was we quickly pulled that box out of shot and replaced it with another one (I know how tight it was me and steve jostling around - him getting comfy and me replugging a monitor for box 2) where The blues brother kermit was waiting. SO there we have it - 2 Kermits! And they were never both seen at the same time (except in front of me) Needless to say I had a nice chat at the aftershow party and he was a very very nice man. Kermit went for an early night I suppose...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow! Another thing missed for not having a TV...

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Pigpen, very cool you got to do that and yeah hat off to you, that was a very quick changeover indeed. So what were the band bits that got cut and were you there when the Reporter Kermit bits were recorded? I guess that was one of the later puppets dressed up from what you say. I loved the appearance, the crowd reactions were great and very impressive how they went to so much trouble with different outfits and pre-recording stuff.

Pigpen

Reaction score
Glad to be of assistance...

Yeah, it was cool. It was really a chance in a lifetime and I couldn't believe my luck. After all, it was Matthew Kelly the week before and Bob Holness before that. Who would have guessed?
The changeover was well rehearsed and we timed ourselves in rehearsal to get it exact. I think the muppeteers are used to this kind of thing as they were very streamlined. A nice smiley lady grabbed the first kermit and smothered him in a black bag while we were busy with moniters and things.
Also the light that the sparks rigged in the box was very tempremental so Steve borrowed my torch incase the light decided to pack up completely.
The pre-recorded reporter Kermit was done by another crew while we rehearsed the rest of the show so I don't know about that.
But we did have some VT inserts of Kermit on the drums and doing some crazy dancing that would have been nice to see.
The crowds response was unprecedented and while the Ant and dec crowd do get excited this was something else.
I wish he was a regular feature on the show. So, if you hear of the muppeteers needing any more moniters rigged then I'm their man... :smile: