Suggestions... new puppet

blemker

Reaction score
Let me know what you think. I'd love to start doing more and getting more into it. I just ordered Sintra and some Antron Fleece. I had been using foamboard and polar fleece.

I'm open to any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, appraisals.

Thanks,

Doug

http://www.geocities.com/blemker/dbdesigns.html

Yahnke

Reaction score
I think your puppet is excellent? That is obviously not your first attempt, correct? Wise move on going for sintra, that stuff is awesome!!!! I got a pile of it for free from sign company that does a lot of buisness. They had tons of scraps. The only suggestion i have, and this is not a put down...but and encouragement, is that the palm of the hand look a little flat, maybe a little more fiber fill? unless you intended it to be that way? either way. Your puppet is great. I would have no problem using him in any of my shows.
kudos for you.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You have an awesome puppet there! WAY awesome!

Iokitek

Reaction score
I agree here. That puppet looks great! I don't know how much practice you've had but you definately have talent.

So do you want us to pitch you some ideas for your next project? Or did you want us to give you some building advice on how to improve your skills? :smile: I'm just a bit confused about what it is exactly you are looking for.

thatonekid

Reaction score
that's pretty darn good puppet ya got there. if that's your first puppet you are incredible, and even if it's 50th it's still really good.
and that head looks like something from arms length. :smile:
although, there's something a little weird about the arms but i can't quite put my finger on it.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Well obviously there's something weird about the arms -- they've got friggin' metal rods sticking out of them!

Seriously, I think the only thing that's a little awkward is the apparent lack of elbows, but that's an awesome puppet. Excellent job. How long have you been working with puppets?

thatonekid

Reaction score
scarylarrywolf said:
Well obviously there's something weird about the arms -- they've got friggin' metal rods sticking out of them!

Seriously, I think the only thing that's a little awkward is the apparent lack of elbows, but that's an awesome puppet. Excellent job. How long have you been working with puppets?
yeah the lack of elbows is what made them look weird.

blemker

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

Thank you all for your input. I will definitely work on the arms. I always seem to have challenges with creative eyes, noses and hair as well. A few people have commented that it looks like something from Arms-Length which I don't know if that's good or bad because I hate to look like a copy-cat which I'm not. I've researched quite a bit and had some great input from Darren at DPuppets and gotten some additional ideas and tweaking from him and other websites. I'd love to learn more foam shaping techniques for different looks - that's trial and error I guess. I've been working on building puppets on and off for about 10 years -- just for fun.

I'd love to get to a point where I could sell some of the puppets but not sure how to go about that and I definitely don't want to sell anything until I'm 100 percent satisfied with the results.

Once I get more experience with Sintra, Antron Fleece, the arms and some additional eye options (other than the 1/2 bulb... which I do love the look of) I am looking to set up a website to allow people to purchase the puppets. I love the building process but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with many more puppets than I already have. I would love to recoup some of my investment... fun can only go so far until the credit cards start calling.

Thanks again, I'm open to any additional ideas and suggestions!

Doug
blemker@yahoo.com

Kye

Reaction score
Doug,
Thats a great Puppet! I think you will find that your new purchase will be a lot better then the polar fleece and easier to keep clean. I cant wait to see more.

thatonekid

Reaction score
yeah your puppet definetly looks armslength inspired, and that is NOT a bad thing. :big_grin: and don't feel like you're a copy cat 'cause arms length makes videos and kits on how to make puppets like that. many people have tried to make puppets that look very similar to what you have made and not many have made them look as good as yours. :smile:

and if you're not armslength inspired i was wondering what you use for eyes 'cause the ylook really good.