Steve Whitmire's Ernie

Java

Reaction score
I just finished watching the 25th anniversary DVD for Sesame Street (the music one) and was wondering when did Steve Whitmire take over Ernie?

What prompts this question is that I started bawling at the end during Sing when it cut to Ernie and Bert and only Bert was singing. Ernie was just kind of smiling and gently dancing with the music.

They state that this was filmed in '93 which is when Whitmire is credited as taking over Ernie, but it's sad that he had action in the finale of the special.

So, does anyone have any ideas on this?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Most sources have said that Steve Whitmire's first performance as Ernie was in Sesame Street Stays Up Late, from late 1993 (the 25th anniversary video was probably made much earlier, and even if it wasn't, Steve Whitmire didn't perform in the video, which might be an explanation for Ernie's silence).

In the Muppet Central interview, Steve stated that he was cast as Ernie becasue there were plans for some talking Ernie toys. When I first read that, I assumed that that was his debut as Ernie, but all other sources list the new years special as his first performance. Of course, the ty could have been released later (or not aat all).

It is interesting that while developing a talkign Ernie toy, they chose to recast Ernie as opposed to using some old recordings by Jim Henson.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Thanks Meep, that was good

I am Growing on Whitmores Ernie I miss Jim's