SST Double Entendres

Wiseman

Reaction score
We will begin with the aforementioned stamen line from season 40's episode about pollination. For those of you who didn't read the intro to this thread in Sesame Street Season 40. The bee in that episode is pollinating a flower and he tells how pollination works, including the phrase "you bet your stamen." The stamen is the male part of a plant (most plants have both male and female parts). As you can see the reason this got by the censors is because not every adult knows the intimate details of the sex life of a rose.

As for the next one we can include the last song in "Potty Training With Elmo" where Gordon says "Grownups do it, oh yeah we do it." Everyone knows he is really referring to using the potty, but he could just as easily be referring to another private action that grownups do.

Number three on my list comes from when Abby Cadabby made her arrival on the street. She is playing a game of hide and seek, and doesn't know how to count, when along comes Sesame Street's expert on counting, The Count. After teaching Abby how to count and witnessing her levitate (Boy is he good, I've never been able to make my partner do that) he says "You never forget your first time" Obviously, he was referring to your first time counting, but he could also be referring to another first time that you never forget.

The fourth and final one on my list is rather mild. In an Elmo's World episode Elmo is discussing baths and the ever helpful Mr. Noodle has just finished going through his usual errors on showing us how to take a bath when he finally gets it right. He emerges onto the set wearing a bathrobe and carrying a brush and soap. After dropping the brush and soap in the water he then turns around and proceeds to slowly and dramatically to remove the bathrobe while a bewildered Elmo is questioning his actions. Obviously, everybody thinks that Mr. Noodle is naked under the robe, however in the spirit of silliness, and in order to avoid a million letters from angry parents, Mr. Noodle reveals that he is actually wearing clothes under his robe.

I am sure that there are others that I haven't mentioned, but in order for this thread to work we need more than one person to contribute. Interestingly enough that's a double entendre in itself because there's something else that needs two (or more) people to work. So now it's your turn. What double entendres do you notice in SS remember to keep your revealing of them PG rated for obvious reasons and have fun. :wink:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As for the next one we can include the last song in "Potty Training With Elmo" where Gordon says "Grownups do it, oh yeah we do it." Everyone knows he is really referring to using the potty, but he could just as easily be referring to another private action that grownups do.
I said that years ago, and others agreed, lol.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I loved the concept of Sarah Jessica Parker being given the word "sigh" as her celeb word of the day segement! Then when she comes back to do another one, she is given the task of demonstrating what a "pair" is!

Also loved the irony of Vanessa Williams being cast as the "Queen of Trash" in Elmo in Grouchland (quick history lesson...before she showed how fabulous her acting actually can be on Ugly Betty, when AoEiG was made, she was still largely notable besides her singing career as being the Miss America who had to give back her crown after doing a nude magazine photo spread)

There was a 90's episode of SST (when Lisa Buckley was doing Betty Lou and they were trying to give her a more featured role/personality) where Betty Lou, Zoe, and Rosita built a clubhouse for girls only (The Girls Girls Girls Club) and they wouldn't let Telly in or do any of the things the trio were doing because he was a boy. I remember thinking that the plot of the episode: Telly wants to get into the Girls Girls Girls Club was pretty funny - especially when i was summerizing the segments on my tape trade page and thinking "hmm..that doesn't quite look right..."

The classic record album "Bert and Ernie Sing Along" was chock full of them (since it revolved around the entire cast getting together for a sing-along in B&E's bathroom due to the acoustics while Bert was taking a bath) If you haven't read it i have a detailed review of the album in one of my first posts at my blog (address in sig).

People always talk about the whole Ernie/Bert=gay couple thing and there are the occasional times (mostly in song lyrics about their friendship) that don't help matters there but i've noticed whenever Big Bird/Snuffy gets songs (or sometimes their regular dialogue), they seem very much like something that sound like they would be for a romantic pair if they were taken out of context.

Grover's line to Mr. Johnson in the Wig Salesman sketch when he wears the geisha girl wig: "You mean you do not like it, My Little Butterfly?"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also loved the irony of Vanessa Williams being cast as the "Queen of Trash" in Elmo in Grouchland (quick history lesson...before she showed how fabulous her acting actually can be on Ugly Betty, when AoEiG was made, she was still largely notable besides her singing career as being the Miss America who had to give back her crown after doing a nude magazine photo spread)
One of these days I'll find it... one of these days I will. Someone's gotta help me on it... but back in 1998, Boston's WZLX classic rock station had a phone interview with Elmo on its morning show (can't remember if it was called the Big Matress then)... but there was this great exchange that ended the interview and it was my favorite all time Elmo moment. Elmo mentions that Vanessa is going to play the queen of trash, and one of the DJ's makes a rude comment about it (can't remember exactly what it was, but it was akin to "That's a stretch!") and after a 2-3 second pause in the conversation, Elmo joyful yells GOODBYE! Goodbye!" and ends the interview right there. Funniest dang Elmo bit ever.