Sonia Manzano will not be on Sesame Street after Season 45

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That's too bad. She was great in everything; she could be silly, but smug and smart as a whip. And a pretty good singer too. Can't say this is a surprise; Maria's barely been used lately at all.

It seems Luis will still be around though, to operate his bike shop.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You have to admit, when it comes to Sesame Street, it's amazing how many cast members stayed on for as long as they did. We have to remember that these aren't just actors, but people. Sometimes they just have to move on, as is natural. There are those who just don't want to be tied down to something forever, and those who feel that they've done quite enough and would like to retire.

She will be missed, even though we all missed her in recent episodes.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I for one think we should wait & see if she has a twitter account. Then we'll know for sure if she's leaving or not.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
40-something years is a long time to stay at one job, and she was a huge part of the show for a lot of that time. She definitely was good at physical comedy bits, like the Charlie Chaplin skits. I wish her the best in whatever she chooses to do next.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did not see this coming. When it was reported that there was a "shake-up" among the human cast, my thought was regarding either Roscoe Orman and/or Dr. Loretta Long, considering that Gordon and Susan don't even live in their own apartment anymore (but then again, neither does Bob, and we know he's still on the show so far).

I'm curious, though, as to how we're losing Sonia, yet keeping Emilio? How are they going to explain this? Maria and Luis's evolving love story was a huge deal for the show, we watched the whole cycle from them falling in love, to getting married, to having Gabi . . . I'd hate to think they're going to divorce Maria and Luis, but maybe they just won't have any explanation. Still seems odd to lose one and keep the other. Then again, we don't see Susan hardly anymore.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Susan its like an extra on the show...except for season 42 when she had several lines in 4 episodes, all her appearances since season 39 are just with one line of dialogue..or none...

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Just wanna say the story is trending on Facebook. Here's my message I put on Facebook: Since it's trending, I might as well say it now: Sonia Manzano, who played Maria on Sesame Street is leaving the show. I'll miss you as Maria, Sonia. I wish you the best.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
So, is she officially retiring (which I wouldn't be surprised about), or just leaving SS?