Some questions on The Muppet Movie

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
OK Part 2, lol.

You know I'm realizing that it was in The Muppet Movie that I probably saw so many of the cameo stars for the first time. Of course back then I had no idea who they were. Like for instance I had no memory of Elliot Gould being the pageant announcer until I saw it again recently, lol.

Love how in a lot of the close ups of the Muppets, you can see the people in the back ground wearing bell bottoms, lol.

Richard Pryor and Steve Martin are hilarious, lol.

Wow this is so weird. You know the scene where Kermit is shocked to realize Piggy is going with them to Hollywood, and then Gonzo gets lifted by the balloons? Well I know from the letterbox version of the film that Richard Hunt is operating Fozzie there, presumably so Frank Oz could operate Piggy. In fact that probably happened several times in various scenes. But of course you're not thinking about that, you really do think you're just watching Fozzie. It's incredible what those performers were able to do. Much like how the Monty Python guys could believably take on multiple characters.

Anyone notice that the women running away from Sweetums are all smiling? Oh that rascal! LOL.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Muppet fan 123, you are awesome! It's always great seeing how new fans receive Classic Muppets. It's cool to be along for the ride, rediscovering old friends and getting a fresh take on them and their material! :smile:

So, as far as The Muppets' first meetings, in this movie, Kermit tells Robin "it's sort-of approximately how it happened", "sort-of" being our first clue, and you gotta remember: every Muppet has a fuzzy memory!! :big_grin: Ha ha, sorry. Oh, and you know the part where Fozzie gives Dr. Teeth a copy of the script? Well that right there tells you it's not canon, cuz movie scripts based on true stories always have lots of embellishments and completely made-up stuff to make the story more exciting. For example, I'm sure Bob Hope and Richard Pryor never worked at the same county fair, and Steve Martin and Rowlf the Dog probably didn't work at the same restaurant, but I could be wrong. (?) Plus, in the movie, the only way the Electric Mayhem knew where Kermit & Co. were was because they read the script. If this movie was how it really happened, they wouldn't have had a script to reference. There's more examples I'm sure, but it's nearly 2 a.m., and I guess I should go to bed, ha ha.

Cheers!! And I sincerely hope you have a great time enjoying more Muppets!!
:wink:
Anthony

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Muppet fan 123, you are awesome! It's always great seeing how new fans receive Classic Muppets. It's cool to be along for the ride, rediscovering old friends and getting a fresh take on them and their material! :smile:

So, as far as The Muppets' first meetings, in this movie, Kermit tells Robin "it's sort-of approximately how it happened", "sort-of" being our first clue, and you gotta remember: every Muppet has a fuzzy memory!! :big_grin: Ha ha, sorry. Oh, and you know the part where Fozzie gives Dr. Teeth a copy of the script? Well that right there tells you it's not canon, cuz movie scripts based on true stories always have lots of embellishments and completely made-up stuff to make the story more exciting. For example, I'm sure Bob Hope and Richard Pryor never worked at the same county fair, and Steve Martin and Rowlf the Dog probably didn't work at the same restaurant, but I could be wrong. (?) Plus, in the movie, the only way the Electric Mayhem knew where Kermit & Co. were was because they read the script. If this movie was how it really happened, they wouldn't have had a script to reference. There's more examples I'm sure, but it's nearly 2 a.m., and I guess I should go to bed, ha ha.

Cheers!! And I sincerely hope you have a great time enjoying more Muppets!!
:wink:
Anthony
Yeah, and according to Kermit in Before You Leap, he says that it was their life story shortened to movie length, or they would have no time for extras when DVD was invented.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
OK Part 3!

Mel Brooks' character is actually quite sinister, even beyond just trying to hurt Kermit. It makes the whole scene that much more threatening and effective. Mel Brooks is never afraid to push the envelope and thank goodness for that. :smile:

I remember when I was a kid I didn't understand to "lean on him a little" was just an expression, lol.

I love how Max is happy the Muppets won but he runs away with Doc anyway. Well they had to get him out of the scene somehow, lol.

It's so cute how Kermit innocently says, "Oh, hi there!" to the secretary, hehe.

Hi Orson Welles, you're going to hate this but, I like The Muppet Movie better than Citizen Kane. :wink:

Regarding the big group shot at the end, I remember the user WasOnceErnie saying that Richard Hunt performed Statler and Janice there. Notice that even though he's performing two characters at once he took the time to have Janice do an extra flourish during "we set out to do...ooo....ooo!" Nice job. :flirt:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wow this is so weird. You know the scene where Kermit is shocked to realize Piggy is going with them to Hollywood, and then Gonzo gets lifted by the balloons? Well I know from the letterbox version of the film that Richard Hunt is operating Fozzie there, presumably so Frank Oz could operate Piggy. In fact that probably happened several times in various scenes. But of course you're not thinking about that, you really do think you're just watching Fozzie. It's incredible what those performers were able to do. Much like how the Monty Python guys could believably take on multiple characters.
In the Muppet Central interview Steve Whitmire said he performed Fozzie in many of the scenes where Fozzie and Piggy appear on-screen together (and he appears behind the gang when watching the beauty contest). Though Michael Earl has said that he performed Fozzie in the showdown sequence.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Micheal Earl also said he performed Fozzie in a few scenes during the movie..i know when i took his class he was talking about the showdown scene at that he loves they kept his fozzie reaction in

PanthraDion

Reaction score
The 6th episode is technically where he first gets hired but actually he was in the first few episodes before that. So sometimes it pays to give up on canon before you drive yourself crazy, lol. :wink:
I spent a lot of time trying to figure things out before I finally just decided to assume that it was because of the way things were filmed and then aired.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid I didn't understand to "lean on him a little" was just an expression, lol.
I thought the same thing.

Quite a few have mentioned how Sweetums doens't catch up until the movie ended, in the theater. What I think is that Sweetums eventually did catch up, but they chose not to put it in the film (unless it came between "The End" and Sweetums bursting out), and Sweetums was just late coming to the screening. Though I can;t remember whether he was carrying his suitcase when he ran through the screen.

At the very beginning Doglion is seen walking at the studio, presumably heading for the screening room. I wonder if it would have been more appropriate for Sweetums to be there, since he was lost. But then would it have been a bit sad for Sweetums to be searching the same studio for the Muppets' screening room?

Until recently I thought Doglion was heading OUT the studio at the beginning, not realising that the opening shot was of the front of the studio. We see Statler and Waldorf's car entering as another leaves, but it cuts from another angle. I thought they were in the other car.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
OK Part 3!

Mel Brooks' character is actually quite sinister, even beyond just trying to hurt Kermit. It makes the whole scene that much more threatening and effective. Mel Brooks is never afraid to push the envelope and thank goodness for that. :smile:

I love how Max is happy the Muppets won but he runs away with Doc anyway. Well they had to get him out of the scene somehow, lol.

It's so cute how Kermit innocently says, "Oh, hi there!" to the secretary, hehe.

Hi Orson Welles, you're going to hate this but, I like The Muppet Movie better than Citizen Kane. :wink:

Regarding the big group shot at the end, I remember the user WasOnceErnie saying that Richard Hunt performed Statler and Janice there. Notice that even though he's performing two characters at once he took the time to have Janice do an extra flourish during "we set out to do...ooo....ooo!" Nice job. :flirt:
Yeah. I'm giving Max a good role in my fanfic Muppets and the Dark Crystal Part II. He's a great character.