So you want to audition for the Muppets?

Sweetums74

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
Yes, James is right. In other words, (correct me if I'm wrong though) they'll call back whoever they feel has potential. These aren't just walk-in auditions.
Actually these are open call auditions.
Once you go through the open call, they will have call-backs for those that they are interested in. It will be a series of auditions, but the first one is open call.

So if you are interested, you should call the number and leave your contact info. They will get in touch with you for calling and also when additional info (like dates, times, location) is available.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I called over the weekend and got a machine (didn't leave a message), then I tried again today at lunch around 11 a.m. Pacific, and someone answered!

Talked to a guy named Todd, and he was really friendly and informative. I didn't try to do any voices or anything, just kept it professional (remember that this guy isn't casting you, just passing information). He took down my name and number, plus the city where I was interested in auditioning, L.A. Then he said that he'd have dates most likely within the next week or week & a half and he'd call with the info. I told him that it's been years since I performed in front of an audience, and that I didn't remember all the details to put on a Performance Resume (like they ask for). He said that was alright, that they were looking for voice impersonation abilities and improvisational skills overall, and that puppetry experience would just make it sweeter. Then I asked him a couple questions.

Are we supposed to bring our own puppets to the audition? He wasn't sure, said he'd put it on a list of questions to ask the Casting Director. He thought that it wouldn't be necessary, but I'm gonna book on my puppet to have it done in time anyway, just in case!

The flyer said that relocation was not required, was that assuming that you already lived in the area? He said that while living in the target cities' would make things easier, that it wasn't necessary.

I also wanted to ask him: should we have some material ready to audition with? I blanked and forgot that question until after I hung up. Will someone else who calls please remember to ask that? I think they'd have some generic stuff ready for us to audition and improvise with (so they could really see differences in performances), but you never know.

Another great question (for all you builders out there) would be: are they looking for Muppet builders too? Just thought of that for you all who only do original voices, but probably build awesome puppets! And who knows where this gig will lead you, maybe to performing new characters or to the Muppet Workshop or something!

Good luck to all who audition! :wink:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
I called over the weekend and got a machine (didn't leave a message), then I tried again today at lunch around 11 a.m. Pacific, and someone answered!

Talked to a guy named Todd, and he was really friendly and informative. I didn't try to do any voices or anything, just kept it professional (remember that this guy isn't casting you, just passing information). He took down my name and number, plus the city where I was interested in auditioning, L.A. Then he said that he'd have dates most likely within the next week or week & a half and he'd call with the info. I told him that it's been years since I performed in front of an audience, and that I didn't remember all the details to put on a Performance Resume (like they ask for). He said that was alright, that they were looking for voice impersonation abilities and improvisational skills overall, and that puppetry experience would just make it sweeter. Then I asked him a couple questions.

Are we supposed to bring our own puppets to the audition? He wasn't sure, said he'd put it on a list of questions to ask the Casting Director. He thought that it wouldn't be necessary, but I'm gonna book on my puppet to have it done in time anyway, just in case!

The flyer said that relocation was not required, was that assuming that you already lived in the area? He said that while living in the target cities' would make things easier, that it wasn't necessary.

I also wanted to ask him: should we have some material ready to audition with? I blanked and forgot that question until after I hung up. Will someone else who calls please remember to ask that? I think they'd have some generic stuff ready for us to audition and improvise with (so they could really see differences in performances), but you never know.

Another great question (for all you builders out there) would be: are they looking for Muppet builders too? Just thought of that for you all who only do original voices, but probably build awesome puppets! And who knows where this gig will lead you, maybe to performing new characters or to the Muppet Workshop or something!

Good luck to all who audition! :wink:
Yes thats the guys name who called me 2day was very nice. I also asked about the bring your own Puppet/Muppets thing and he didnt know, but...I'm also gonna bring mine anyways! :smile:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Sweetums74 said:
Actually these are open call auditions.
Once you go through the open call, they will have call-backs for those that they are interested in. It will be a series of auditions, but the first one is open call.

So if you are interested, you should call the number and leave your contact info. They will get in touch with you for calling and also when additional info (like dates, times, location) is available.
Very good to hear, it's excellent that they are holding open call auditions first. Thanks, I might just do that.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I called today expecting a machine and got a live person saying "muppet holding company". I lost my nerve and hung up... It really is a dream job but since I work for the church it would be a difficult career change. Now putting aside my sour grapes comment, truth be known I've only been performing with puppets three years and I'm sure there are many people out there more qulified than myself (and my wife sways taking a trip to new york, toronto, or LA is not ver feasible). Maybe I'll get my nerve up and try calling again but otherwise good luck to all of you who do audition, as this is the job many of us would love to have.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Wow, a real person? That's surprising, yeah, I hear you on the nerves. Despite that though, I still would rather speak with a real person than a machine. If you can, give it another go DannyRWW, just because you're only three years into it doesn't mean you wouldn't be qualified. I'm sure you have plenty of talent.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
My goodness what a dream job this would be. "Here with little performing experience why don't you take this professional Kermit puppet and travel around the country". Oy. Trying really hard not to get my hopes up too high, but man would this be cool.

Now am I the only one whose having to face the harsh reality that the Muppet voice you thought you did really well is only passable? Sheesh.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Todd gave me a call today and I asked him about the project. He said that this was for occasional Muppet Appearances and may be just one character or a bunch. He seemed to stress that this would be an occasional thing. I'm assuming this is sort of like how you can get Mickey Mouse to come to the opening of your Mall if you pay Disney. He also said that you'd be working for the Muppet Holding Company, not Diseny Directly (though they own it). Was a very nice guy and it was fun talking to him. Looking forward to the auditions which he said were probably happening in Late September early October. SO practice your Kermit!! (I would assume whoever lands Kermit will work the most!)

Grant
www.DoctorFloyd.com

MagentaHaiku

Reaction score
So exciting!

Todd hasn't called me back yet-- what gives? Anyhow, does anybody know of a website with muppet voices on it- like little clips that we can listen to to help us practice? I can do Prairie Dawn and Elmo, but I'm sure with a little listening over and over again I can try to nail some other ones.

My Gloss! Are any of the Toronto people planning to audition?

Ta,
Kristen

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Hmm...407 number, Muppet Holding Co....Disney Affiliated Casting perhaps? (407 = Orlando, FL, where I'm living now)

I'd love to do this; I'm good with improv and have a pretty good vocal array, but I gave up on puppetry a while ago after failed puppet-making attempts finally did me in. And, I just don't know that I'd be willing to put my name to any current Muppet projects, sad to say...