SNL 40 Year Reunion

Drtooth

Reaction score
A Californians sketch was included. Its biggest highlight was the presence of Betty White (no, they didn't make her do a dumb accent) and SNL's original 'valley girl' Larrane Newman.
I knew it was her. I kinda forgot what she looked like, but to appear Californian, she used almost her exact Miss Information voice from Histeria!

I know it's certainly a minority opinion here, not to mention a lot of other places, but he is super-creative and an excellent rapper. His songs always have genuine emotion behind them, you know whatever he is saying is straight from the heart and unfiltered. Plus he gets loads of people to appear on his songs, from rappers to Elton John and Paul McCartney. I can't defend a lot of his public actions, but he delivers the goods when it comes to his music.
I'm not the hugest fan of him, however no matter how much of a complete tool he acts like, he isn't insanely popular without reason. With all his strange outbursts, everyone seems to forget he has genuine talent. It's a shame since his stuff is genuinely well done and some of the best the genre has to offer. I respect the guy's art and talent, just not his jumping up on stage saying someone was robbed of an Award. That's for message boards.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My understanding was that the main reason most of the 1980 cast got canned had to do with the poor ratings the show was getting at the time. The entire cast was kept for one more episode after the cursing incident. Dick Ebersol became the new producer and fired the cast members he felt weren't working out, Rocket being one of them. Rocket's only known for his one season on SNL, a season people try to ignore. It wouldn't surprise me if a good chunk of last night's audience had no idea who he was.
I always thought the cursing incident was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to the cast, but I suppose as the years go by something like that tends to be exaggerated in importance. Anyway, something like that couldn't have helped the cast and staff's cause to stay around, lol.

I'm not the hugest fan of him, however no matter how much of a complete tool he acts like, he isn't insanely popular without reason. With all his strange outbursts, everyone seems to forget he has genuine talent. It's a shame since his stuff is genuinely well done and some of the best the genre has to offer. I respect the guy's art and talent, just not his jumping up on stage saying someone was robbed of an Award. That's for message boards.
That's why I wish he didn't do some of things he did, that it would help his image, but I suppose his crazy outbursts are fueled by the same thing that fuels his music. If he didn't interrupt Taylor Swift at the VMAs we wouldn't have "Runaway", which might be his best song.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I'm watching through these skits, and I love it!

I like how they're able to mix the classic cast members with more recent ones and it doesn't feel forced or awkward. It was awesome. The musical montage was awesome! Will Ferell and Ana Gasteyer made that segment if you ask me! I also love how Sandler and Samberg called out Fallon and Sanz for breaking. I saw it coming, but it was still hilarious. With them going all out for 40, do you think they'll be able to top it in 10 years? assuming the show's still on in 2025?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw most of it (and bits and pieces of the pre-show). But what was the opening monologue about? They talk about hosts, but with people saying things like "what about female hosts" or "musical guests who've hosted".... Was Steve Martin initially talking about a certain kind of host?

I'm glad this one included at least one clip from the sixth season (even if it's just Charles Rockett introducing himself). I've read that previous anniversary specials left out clips from that season (with the exception of musical performances). While watching, I was hoping that they would have a montage of "worst" clips, from season 6 (and the other seasons that were so bad the show almost got canceled) and from episodes that never reaired. Unlikely, but would have been funny.

Is this the first SNL anniversary show to include Gorch in any way (even if it's just a picture of Scred with Gilda Radner)? Though I have seen documentaries of the show that include Gorch clips.

I regret the fact that I haven't done a Muppet Mindset article to tie in with the anniversary. I didn't think about doing such an article until I was watching. But there's still plenty of time, and I do have an idea for a Gorch article. But I think I'll wait a couple of weeks to write it, since I have a couple of still-unpublished articles I sent in. Then again, how do I know that somebody else hasn't had the same idea for an article?

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I can certainly recognize that Kanye does have genuine talent, not just as a rapper or an artist, but also as a producer, and whatever else he applies himself to.

And honestly, these public outbursts of his and such, I really don't discredit him for any of that - because quite frankly, I found his Memetic Mutation behavior to be quite amusig at best - it's just his massive, immense, self-righteous superego that leaves me rolling my eyes and shaking my head. It's one thing for someone like that to acknowledge they are aware of the talent that they have - as with Frank Oz - but it's another thing altogether to go around saying things like, "Yeah, I'm Albert Einstein, Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Gandhi, and Jesus all rolled into one." I mean, I can acknowledge my own talent as a puppeteer, but when people tell me things like, "You're like the next Jim Henson," I say no way, there's no way anybody - me, or any of today's generation of puppeteers - could possibly measure up to a really true creative genius like him.

I will say this though: between Kanye's immature behavior problems and violent temper, and Kim Krapdashian's insatiable thirst for the limelight and no regard to personal space, I will not - at all - be surprised if we see North West end up in juvie in the near future. I have a feeling she's going to grow up to be one messed up child.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I caught bits and pieces of the special. It was really well done. The Celebrity Jeopardy being my favorite sketch. Hope it gets a DVD release in the future. (Or blu-ray, something).

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised about Chevy since I've watched him on Community, although even since leaving the show he's gained weight.

On the other hand, a lot of them seemed to age very well. Jane Curtin for example, I thought she aged well

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Jane and Loraine, both looked very good I thought.

I did not like the return of Mat Folly, I kind of thought that should have been left alone, and they should have done something different to honor Chris Farly. On the other hand I thought Jim Belushi did a great job as a Blues Brother.