Sneak Peak: Sesame Street's Pinball Number Count remake

Drtooth

Reaction score
A winner in the Aniboom contest for best remake of Pinball Number Count has finally been chosen. And I gotta say, this one is REALLY cute. This one will premier in season 41

you can catch it here

Nice twist. uses the same song, but DOESN'T use a pinball machine... but uses the same whole aesthetic. Only thing I don't like is how it's been truncated musically.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't watch it because of my browser obviously, but the idea of the Pinball Number Count being remade for today's audiences is bound to upset quite a few old-school fans.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Nice, I didn't know there was a contest like that. :stick_out_tongue:

Still you're right as there is no pinball machine involved, but the music is a nice reminder. :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't watch it because of my browser obviously, but the idea of the Pinball Number Count being remade for today's audiences is bound to upset quite a few old-school fans.
I'm sure that some oldschoolers are gonna whine about the whole thing, while not appreciating the effort on the part of the animators (and I think this dude was brilliant)... but hey, it's not like the other 11 older segments have been locked up, never to see the light of day again.

I'm sure they'll put it up on Youtube soon, though.

Still you're right as there is no pinball machine involved, but the music is a nice reminder.
Who said it had to? There are several different entries, and the ones I feel work best are the ones that DIDN'T copy the original in any form. While it didn't win, there's another really good one called "Planet 12" that uses the same music, but goes on a completely different tangent with a spaceman and aliens. There are some that DID copy the original, and I'm looking at them now. Not as much fun as the winner, though.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the winner. Many of these are excellent.

I really liked “Rank 5: Pinball Number 12 Reanimated.” Very impressive in that it retains the elements of the original and yet has more subtle modern updates visually and audibly.

Kudos to Sesame Workshop for bringing this classic to the forefront for a new generation.

Ben Varkentine

Reaction score
Ok, I give...after spending what seems like over an hour poking around that site, I can't find anywhere where all the entries for this contest, and them alone, are posted.

I don't want to have to click through 400 vids...what am I missing?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It is nice to see a modern animation take on the Pinball Number Count classic. But I think I'm still gonna prefer the original classic- but it's cool if a newer version introduces it to kids today. Though for the record, today's kids also enjoy the original animated classics, as my nephews can attest to. But in any case, it's cool to see Sesame Street bringing a classic to the forefront again- they've done this numerous times with other songs with live puppets- why not one of their animated classics?:super:

Shmuel

Reaction score
Ok, I give...after spending what seems like over an hour poking around that site, I can't find anywhere where all the entries for this contest, and them alone, are posted.

I don't want to have to click through 400 vids...what am I missing?
Well, the contest in general wasn't confined to pinball number videos; that was only one category of it. As per the rules, entries for all categories were posted into one common pool.

WIth that said, if you do a search for "pinball" on that site, you'll find about thirty versions.

kymie

Reaction score
Wow! They are great! That used to be my favorite number section in Sesame Street, as I loved all the bright colors! I wish they would rerun Sesame Street from the beginning over here (uk)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... I can't remember all the different categories, but one of them was Pinball number Count. There are a lot of good ones, and a lot of ones that are just okay. There's one that has some pretty cute imagery, but the segment repeats the same footage over and over. Which is a shame, because I really liked how it looked overall. One doesn't even used the music for some reason, putting some lame generic tune (no lyrics either) over it, and it ruins the piece completely.

But this Italian stop motion one - as Red would put it, the one that won- is my favorite of the bunch. It took the entire thing, managed to keep the aesthetic of the original, but did something entirely original with it. Heck, I like the look of it BETTER than the original. I never was a huge fan of the ball falling into that vortex on the second count of 12.