Skits that made you kind of sad

squirrelboy

Reaction score
I seem to remember a sketch that always broke me into tears, it goes like this:

Two little girls are roaming the streets, searching for their dog "Ace or Abe".

Anyhow, they go into a printing store where they made posters using big metallic stamps to say their dog is gone missing. After making a bunch of posters, they go around their neighborhood - posting these signs on trees and telephone poles. Suddenly, a lady that is walking a dog (which to me looked like her own) sees one of the posters, looks at her dog and asks the dog: "Ace or Abe is that your name?" The dog gets realeased - I hear the girls saying "Ace/Abe!, Ace/Abe! when they saw their dog running towards them" (I always broke into tears when this part comes up). But I was glad to see that these two girls got their dog back. A sad sketch, no doubt about that. :cry:

Anyone else remember this sketch?
squirrelboy

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I do kinda remember that now that you mention it!

ISNorden

Reaction score
I've seen that film, all right: the dog is indeed named Ace, and belongs to a smallish shaggy breed (terrier perhaps)? Though the film may be dated, seeing a non-computerized print shop still interested me.

JLG

Reaction score
The ending of "Dance Myself to Sleep" always made me worried about poor Bert--being forced to sleep outside like that. I also remember wondering what was Ernie's problem--it seemed out of character for him to be that coldblooded.

(Actually, I still don't really get that ending. :rolleyes: )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing "Dance Myself to Sleep" as a child. But when I saw it recently, I was really disturbed for Bert too!

ISNorden

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing "Dance Myself to Sleep" as a child. But when I saw it recently, I was really disturbed for Bert too!
Same here; Ernie wouldn't usually throw Bert out of their apartment in the middle of the night! :concern: :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I've been noticing lately how inconsiderate Ernie often was! Lol

Let's see sketches that make me sad. I heard Ernie and Bert sing this song about Lonesome Joan. She never wanted anyone to help her learn tie her shoes, or do anything. The chorus was "Oh, Lonesome Joan! Lonesome Joan! You don't have to do everything alone." Joan ends up being a lonely old woman who still can't tie her shoes or do anything. It has a happy ending, but the whole idea kinda spooked me out.

JLG

Reaction score
Whoa, that sounds mega-heavy (for this show). Was this recent or old? I don't remember it---can you describe it a little more?

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I remember loving "Dance Myself to Sleep" as a child, but seeing Bert outside alone did make me kind of uneasy.
I remember seeing a little boy playing by himself on a playground accompanied by a song about getting away from everyone and playing all by himself. The song was about how a child can have fun by him/herself at times, but I still felt sad for the boy and hoped he had friends to play with. I didn't want him to be lonely. The song "Somebody Come and Play" made me sad for similar reasons.