Should we credit Kermit as a guest star

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Are you saying that Kermit was a main character on Ss from 1969-2001 and a guest star on the 40th season?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I noticed that the two characters intended to replace Kermit on SS were both Jerry Nelson's. Not that it means anything, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Mupp

Reaction score
You know, I think it is actually best to credit Kermit as a guest star on Sesame Street.

After all, Kermit existed before Sesame Street premiered. Pretty much all of the other Muppets that appeared on the show were created just for Sesame Street.

Also, I know this may sound strange, but hear me out;

I think that it just might be a good thing that Kermit doesn't appear on any new Sesame Street material anymore....

Because these days, it seems that parents have the perception that The Muppet Show characters are innocent, sweet role models for young children and expect them to act as such, just like the muppets of Sesame Street. Of course, this is not true at all.

The Muppet Show characters are definitely more edgy and adult in their humor, and are for a broader audience.

So, by having Kermit appear on Sesame Street, that just further confuses the distinction between The Muppet Show characters and Sesame Street characters.

Characters from the Muppet Show also tend to be stranger and scary-looking when compared to the Sesame Street Muppets of today.
Can you imagine if Gorgon Heap or Big Mean Carl made an appearance on Sesame Street today? It would not be pretty for some young children and parents.
Yes, when Sesame Street first premiered, things were a bit more edgy and violent, but times have changed. Today the show's humor is still silly at times, but it is innocent silly. Parents would NOT be happy to see Gorgon Heap chasing Elmo down the street.
Plus, one of the main goals of Sesame Street's characters is to teach children as well as entertain them.
The Muppet Show characters are not trying to teach a curriculum, they are just trying to entertain a broad audience.

There needs to be a distinction, so that's why I think that its probably for the best that Kermit does not appear in any new Sesame material.
Kermit appearing in recycled material is great, and his recent cameo in Elmo's World was fun too, but at this point, I think it should be left at that.