Should Fraggle Rock be revived?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's probably not necessary to reboot. However, if Fraggle Rock ever was rebooted, I wouldn't overreact to it, the way a certain other fanbase did to a reboot this year. :wink:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
If anything I could see something like "Fraggle Rock: The Next Generation" or something similar. Age up some of the older characters, make some newer characters. The Gorgs would have passed on their kingdom to Jr (who may or may not have a Gorg Queen?) The original five know of the Silly Creatures and maybe have more of an outlet?
It's hard to imagine a series exactly the same with the same feeling and charm as the original. Not saying it's not possible but it would be difficult to recapture it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure there are capable hands out there that could do the franchise proud. Problem is, if the unmade movie was anything to go by, studios are very much incapable hands that can smack a project out of the capable ones and force them to pick them up while pointing and laughing at them. I remember when Corey Edwards posted on his blog that the first live action Smurfs movie basically had scenes exactly like what Weinstine pressured him into including. Yep, especially the completely pointless Guitar Hero sequence. That's what happens when you put faith into a so called indie studio that treats animated/kid's movies worse than even the lowest common denominator studio ever could.

I honestly think we need new Fraggle Rock something, but I couldn't tell you what. I don't think a new series would work, I don't think a movie would work at this point. I'd love to see more viral videos, but that's never going to happen. And I mean, the Doozer cartoon is cute, but frankly it's not going to be nearly as popular as Sid and Dinotrain were due to the fact PBS refused to air the thing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
In the right hands (and with as little executive interference as possible), a new FR series would be ideal. But I don't know how many new and interesting stories the writers can think up, as we could risk a retread. I also think there's been a good amount of closure to the original to not justify bringing it back.

And if budget is an issue, I don't see how refurbishing the puppets and building new physical sets would be any more expensive compared to what HBO spends on something like Game of Thrones. And keeping the production in Canada like the original can cut down the costs even further thanks to Canadian tax write-offs.

Though I do find Colbynfriends' idea of a "Next Generation" series featuring a younger generation of Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs as descendants of the original cast intriguing. That could work.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though I do find Colbynfriends' idea of a "Next Generation" series featuring a younger generation of Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs as descendants of the original cast intriguing. That could work.
I really think the Doozers cartoon missed too many opportunities for being its own thing. Truth be told, I only seen a couple episodes and I can't say they never made some reference or acknowledgement, but they didn't in either of the episodes I've seen. Then again, the fact the show was dumped on Hulu Plus and DVD's in the US pretty much prevented the series from being big enough of a hit that the parents watching would get the FR connection.

Harold43

Reaction score
I've jostled with this hypothetical over the years. In the end, my best response would be to test out the waters with some new, short segments: YouTube clips that would be no longer than 2 minutes, somewhat serialized but you don't necessarily need to see one segment to understand the prior or the next.

As for the timeline, "Fraggle Rock: The Next Generation" might be appealing but the franchise wasn't big enough outside of the fanbase. Might as well just go with the original cast of Fraggles, grab as many of the veterans as you can, fill the rest with newcomers and understand that nostalgia can only go so far.

Anyway, that's my 30-second knee-jerk response. It was always a nice series and definitely under-appreciated when compared to Sesame Street or The Muppet Show.