Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre

Redsonga

Reaction score
Was this version of Hansel and Gretel the one where the children were actually all turned into gingerbread and they were lining the road to the witches house? If so it gave me nightmares something awful when I was little :confused:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I do recall that. Supposedly the witch ate the flesh but mixed the heart up into batter to bake gingerbread children. It was one of the darkest episodes and therefore had very little comedic aspects compared to most others. But the children all came back to life after the witch died giving a somewhat lighter ending.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I do recall that. Supposedly the witch ate the flesh but mixed the heart up into batter to bake gingerbread children. It was one of the darkest episodes and therefore had very little comedic aspects compared to most others. But the children all came back to life after the witch died giving a somewhat lighter ending.
Yes i remember that episode very well actually i watched it several weeks ago because it was on the DVD that i was watching on the newest set i wanted to watch one entire DVD one day LOL . I do that some days with this great show . Yes that episode is very dark , but i think that comes from the original story . Is that right ?

I do love the cast of Hansal and gretal very much Joan collens was perfect as the step mother / evil witch with the ginger bread house .

The perfect hansel and gretal

Redsonga

Reaction score
The real story just has her eating them, there is nothing about being made into cookies :confused: I have a big book of the real stories...

muppet baby

Reaction score
The real story just has her eating them, there is nothing about being made into cookies :confused: I have a big book of the real stories...
:embarrassed: oops , I now that i hear that i think i remeber that when i read something in a book as a kid that i think is in the attic . LOL

I am hopeing to get another big book like you are talking about as soon as i get some more room soon .

I really love this Fearie Tale theatre version to though i like that the kids come back to life a cool ending to the story another reason why this is my faverite , live action version of the tale .:excited:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, as far as being dark goes I think the whole wanting to eat them thingie is dark enough, and it is hardly ever changed in any version I have ever seen. Maybe that is why Disney has never made a film version of it. You can make it darker (the being made into cookies plot was probably an early adaption/fanfic of the story somewhere in Germany to when the story was new) but you can't really make it lighter or happy...

muppet baby

Reaction score
Well, as far as being dark goes I think the whole wanting to eat them thingie is dark enough, and it is hardly ever changed in any version I have ever seen. Maybe that is why Disney has never made a film version of it. You can make it darker (the being made into cookies plot was probably an early adaption/fanfic of the story somewhere in Germany to when the story was new) but you can't really make it lighter or happy...
Very true very true and i am so glad that as you said Disney not make a movie or some kind of tv show out of it . LOL Little red riding hood is very dark to . Those are two tales that i really wish had never been made for fearie tale theatre but at the same time i do watch them because . they will do not show many gorie things if that makes sense .

All in all the series is a great fearie tale series no series of anything books movies or tv is ever perfect LOL .

:coy::smile::wink:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
You know, from what little I remember of it, I liked their version of Little Red Riding Hood; the way they showed the wolf's perspective and all. Try as I might though, I can't remember their version of Hansel and Gretel at all! Oh wait, I do remember the very beginning. I believe it was with the baker giving them stale cookie crumbs or something like that?
But you know, I myself wouldn't mind seeing a full-length film adaptation of Hansel and Gretel. I completely understand why Disney didn't and wouldn't do it though, lol. I wonder what Tim Burten would do with it...
:scary:
But back on topic, my birthday is next week, so I think I'll either ask for it, or else take the birthday money I hope I'll be getting and make a trip to Best Buy. Was planning on doing that anyway; now I just have something else to look for.
:smile:

peyjenk

Reaction score
I love FTT. It's great, and chock full o'80s stars. I bought the old DVD set a few years ago, and it is really quite poorly done, but I do enjoy having the whole series! The new set looks great, but I can't justify spending the money for it when I already have them.

I think my favorite is "The Princess and the Pea". I like the color palette in that one, and the extra-dry British humor.

One thing I really love about the series is the fresh way they retold every tale. Some are scary, some are funny, some are romantic, and all are great!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Fairytale Theater is now mine, yaaay! I got it the other day as a late birthday present!
:big_grin: But now, I wonder which one I have? I didn't know there was more than one release.