"Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration" special to air November 9 on HBO and November 17 on PBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
it's good to see Mamma Bear again, it seems that in the last couple years Baby Bear's family just kinda drifted away for some reason
Part of the reason was Joey Mazzarino leaving because he did Papa Bear. Also, it seems they’re trying to move away from using Baby Bear.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Part of the reason was Joey Mazzarino leaving because he did Papa Bear. Also, it seems they’re trying to move away from using Baby Bear.
yeah, they have used him a little bit just not as much as the other characters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They've used Baby Bear plenty of times without Papa or Mama Bear . . . there's a number of reasons we're seeing less of Baby Bear, and I'm sure one of those reasons is because Cookie Monster has really exploded in popularity in recent years, so that probably takes up more of David's time as a performer.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
They've used Baby Bear plenty of times without Papa or Mama Bear . . . there's a number of reasons we're seeing less of Baby Bear, and I'm sure one of those reasons is because Cookie Monster has really exploded in popularity in recent years, so that probably takes up more of David's time as a performer.
Plus David’s commitment to characters like Scooter; Janice; and Beaker.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, it's also just a factor of too many characters/not enough time.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Yeah, now that the street stories are longer and there are less episodes being made each year we are seeing a lot less of the muppets that were always street characters with the exception of Rosita

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I mean, kinda-sorta.

Less episodes, yes. There's no need to scramble and create new characters to fill 130 episodes worth of material, because A. they don't need to work as much and B. they have access the good characters (Ernie, bert, Cookie, Grover, etc.) they couldn't get outside of insert pieces.

Street stories are certainly not longer; they're shorter than ever, running between like 7-10 minutes, whereas they could be maybe twice that just a few years ago.

It really boils down to the fact that they're focusing on the certain characters (Elmo, Cookie and Abby seem like the main ones now, while like Big Bird, Oscar, Rosita, Grover, E&B are secondary, everyone else is just supporting cast). Kids like these characters the most, therefore it makes sense to ensure they're in the show every day - hence the main three being the ones with their own segments outside the story (that includes the letter/number of the day songs). Less time in the show means no space for a Baby Bear sketch or Telly song (though I see no reason why they can't do these; it seems the only new sketches/songs are celebrity ones. I'd take an E&B bit about "R is for Robots" or whatever over these films).

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I mean, kinda-sorta.

Less episodes, yes. There's no need to scramble and create new characters to fill 130 episodes worth of material, because A. they don't need to work as much and B. they have access the good characters (Ernie, bert, Cookie, Grover, etc.) they couldn't get outside of insert pieces.

Street stories are certainly not longer; they're shorter than ever, running between like 7-10 minutes, whereas they could be maybe twice that just a few years ago.

It really boils down to the fact that they're focusing on the certain characters (Elmo, Cookie and Abby seem like the main ones now, while like Big Bird, Oscar, Rosita, Grover, E&B are secondary, everyone else is just supporting cast). Kids like these characters the most, therefore it makes sense to ensure they're in the show every day - hence the main three being the ones with their own segments outside the story (that includes the letter/number of the day songs). Less time in the show means no space for a Baby Bear sketch or Telly song (though I see no reason why they can't do these; it seems the only new sketches/songs are celebrity ones. I'd take an E&B bit about "R is for Robots" or whatever over these films).
sorry, I meant to say they are shorter

Cookie3001

Reaction score
is this special airing on both channels at the same time or does HBO get it first and PBS get it much later (the 9 month deal)?

Status
Not open for further replies.