Sesame Street YouTube Channel uploading less content after HBO debut

ssetta

Reaction score
I've noticed that lately, they haven't really been uploading much on the official YouTube channel, except for the Throwback Thursday clip (which is practically all I care about). I've noticed they really haven't uploaded much from Season 46. I remember they originally uploaded all of 4601 and 4602 but they got taken down. Last week they also uploaded that "S is for Safari" film but shortly took it down after. I wonder if maybe HBO is forcing this, because I think they now want to be the official place for Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They're probably only uploading them temporarily in the first place, considering the episodes are also available on other platforms like On Demand and such.

It's not just the new Season 46 episodes, I've noticed there's other full episodes (or, more specifically, full street stories) they've posted in the past that have been taken down recently.

SST's channel isn't the only one that does this, there's many official channels that will post content for a short amount of time then remove them shortly afterwards, which prompts me to ask what's the point of even uploading them in the first point if they're just going to take them down afterwards?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed some of their longer content being taken down (or set to private as they actually are), but it makes sense, especially if it's stuff that's on the HBO Go service.

I wouldn't say the channel is "dead." Look at the new episodes; there's barely any content in them, even new. They have/had a schedule of what types of videos they'd upload from the new episodes each week, but since there's less new material per show that's YouTube-able, there's naturally going to be less videos. There's not much uploading 'cause there's not much to upload (unless they do more dipping into the archive).

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
SST channel YT will not die maybe not being not as active, but not active.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the channel is "dead." Look at the new episodes; there's barely any content in them, even new. They have/had a schedule of what types of videos they'd upload from the new episodes each week, but since there's less new material per show that's YouTube-able, there's naturally going to be less videos. There's not much uploading 'cause there's not much to upload (unless they do more dipping into the archive).
That sounds like the problem. There's a lot of older stuff they certainly can go through, they just don't seem to want to have that much time and effort to dig through stuff. I also can see why they'd pull down things that HBO offers. It's a shame because HBO kept acknowledging the importance of the Youtube presence is, but I can see from their angle why they'd probably make SW pull down things they charge for. I have a feeling that the two episodes of the current season they uploaded weren't supposed to be there for long anyway.

Frankly, I'd much rather the older, archival stuff be uploaded more frequently.

Meanwhile, the German Sesame Street's YT page has been jumping the past few weeks.

Jakob

Reaction score
Yeah, I Really Wanted Sesame Street's YouTube Channel To Have MORE Content, Like Uploading Pinkey Dinkey Doo Episodes And Big Bag Episodes! (But That Is Probably Not Going To Happen For Big Bag Anyway Because Of Rights Issues Like Slim Pig Is Not Owned By Sesame Workshop Anymore, Monster Entertainment Owns The Rights Now.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wouldn't Sesame Workshop have separate channels for those other entities anyway?

Drtooth

Reaction score
While Sesame Street is uploading like a clip or two a week, and I agree that there's not really that much of the new season to post, I'm disappointed that the HBO episodes don't even have so much as preview clips. They're clearly keeping a muzzle on this, unlike "Last Week Tonight" that at least uploads the main subject of the episode. Otherwise, the Orange is the New Snack skit would have been uploaded a while ago.