Sesame Street will continue to air on re-branded Sprout Channel

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
That's so sad.

I grew up watching Sesame Street on PBS Kids Sprout.

What a shame.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I wish Sesame Street would stay because you get to see older episodes in the network, but now that won't happen anymore.

Sesame Street is really falling apart at the seams. (So to speak...)

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Well...if I ever get cable or satellite TV one day, Sprout will no longer be a channel that may be worth my time...

Drtooth

Reaction score
So Sesame Street (temporarily) leaves PBS for the first time in forever, shrinks down to half an hour, and now it's leaving Sprout, all happening within the same couple of months?
It's not technically leaving PBS. Reruns will still be rerun, and they'll be able to rerun the new episodes almost a year later. Kinda sucky, but Sesame isn't going anywhere. HBO probably saved them at any rate.

But this Sprout thing sounds like it's sweeping changes, not just singling out Sesame Street. I wouldn't have been surprised if HBO wouldn't let Sprout rerun the show, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Seems it was going to get kicked off of Sprout regardless, as it's a rebranding issue. Though I have to agree with some of the website's annoyance. Seriously?! They're keeping Baldy McTempertantrum? How is that Adam Sandler in The Waterboy sounding tyke so popular still? But Super Why getting kicked off the network too? Heh Heh. Kick it off regular PBS too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So the fact that my post in this thread was deleted for being inappropriate seems to kind of help make my point: do we really want somebody like Alyssa Milano to be a spokesperson for a pre-school channel?

Schfifty

Reaction score
It's not technically leaving PBS. Reruns will still be rerun, and they'll be able to rerun the new episodes almost a year later. Kinda sucky, but Sesame isn't going anywhere. HBO probably saved them at any rate.
Yeah...when I meant the show is leaving PBS, I meant in terms of broadcasting new, first-run episodes on its home channel. As far as I know, that's happened since the beginning, over 45 years ago. It's good that reruns will still be on the channel, but it's still kind of disappointing first-run episodes are going somewhere else for the first time since 1969.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish Sesame Street would stay because you get to see older episodes in the network, but now that won't happen anymore.
I'd really like to see SW take advantage of whatever money HBO's giving them and do something with some older episodes. HBO supposedly is going to have 150 older episodes somewhere (unless I read something wrong), but I'd like to see SW offer some older episodes somewhere. Unfortunately, yes even if it means charging for them. I really would love to see the cable channel's money go to some archival action at SW. Seems that's somewhere they're understaffed. Thousands of hours of TV programming, all those segments, some are still lost to the general public. They have to be there somewhere.

So the fact that my post in this thread was deleted for being inappropriate seems to kind of help make my point: do we really want somebody like Alyssa Milano to be a spokesperson for a pre-school channel?
Yeah, but does it even matter? The parents aren't going to care that much about what roles she played, the preschoolers have never seen anything with her in it. Lots of risque actors and actresses contributed to kid's stuff over the years, and visa versa, a lot of kid's actors/voice actors do other stuff for adults.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Yeah, but does it even matter? The parents aren't going to care that much about what roles she played, the preschoolers have never seen anything with her in it. Lots of risque actors and actresses contributed to kid's stuff over the years, and visa versa, a lot of kid's actors/voice actors do other stuff for adults.
But if they have a rather bad reputation or have gotten negative attention from a significant number of people, yes it does matter. Case in point? Bill Cosby. After all the negative hype he's gotten lately, what probability would there be that people would want to see him work in children's television again? His reputation has been completely damaged from what's happened since his days hosting Picture Pages. While Alyssa Milano has worked in the adult industry, between him and her, who would people prefer to see host Sprout? Many would say the latter.