Sesame Street to introduce new Asian-American Muppet, Ji-Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean in the end, this Elijah, Wes and Ji-Young were not the first race-specific muppets to be created as the media paints them out to be. Kingston Livingston literally existed in the early 90s with the Brown AM pattern soon following with other characters of Carribean descent (side or recurring or main) later on. But he seems to have been swept under the rug now. 🤷🏿‍♂️
While this is true, it wasn't like Kingston Livingston was created for the explicit purpose to directly address a heavy and sensitive topic like racism in the country - the 90s weren't as a tumultuous decade like the New Tens have been, or the 2020s are shaping up to be in that respect. Yes, he was created for the sake of a little more diversity and inclusion, but in case, it was less about his race, and more about his individuality and how he pretty much marched to the beat of a different drum rather than conform to what other kids were into . . . I mean, did Kingston ever address the fact that he's brown because of the melanin in his skin? Wes and Elijah literally have.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
True, I do get that. I just feel like if anything they could have just brought Kingston back and made Wes his father.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One thing that I do think people purposely turn a blind eye to as well is the fact that racism isn’t always just Caucasian person racist towards insert race here. Minorities can be just as racist to other minorities. Here is a perfect example:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing that I do think people purposely turn a blind eye to as well is the fact that racism isn’t always just Caucasian person racist towards insert race here. Minorities can be just as racist to other minorities. Here is a perfect example:

Is that Liz?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Is the special introducing Ji-Young only airing on TV on the 24/7 PBS Kids channels? It's not showing up in my cable guide.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It might be. It's not on any one of my PBS stations, it seems.

They're no doubt gonna put in on their YouTube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.