Sesame Street to introduce new Asian-American Muppet, Ji-Young

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And like previous specifically identifiable Muppets like Julia or Wes and Elijah, Ji-Young and her family are going to be introduced in a special:

So basically, it sounds like they're borrowing the character of Sid Chang from THE CASAGRANDES, and turning her into a Sesame Muppet, but, as always, I believe we can agree that SW's efforts are, again, admirable and commendable.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well, I’m ready to see the introduction of this character. I’m also ready to see comments from people saying Sesame Street is pushing an agenda. 🙃

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I have to say way to go Sesame Street Of being on top of things and introducing new diverse characters to the overall roster. Long overdue ? Maybe, but it is never too late to introduce new characters, right ?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Long overdue ?
Maybe in this regard, perhaps . . . because, as others have pointed out previously, in a way, it almost sort of defeats Jim's intentions with AMs to be race/ethnic-unspecific, hence why they're more of a rainbow of different colors (green, blue, lavender, purple, pumpkin, pink, golden yellow), so that way viewers can identify them in any way they choose to.

Even so, when it came to race/ethnic/other-specific characters, he and others usually made them more fantasy creatures or something to give them a more universal appeal, such as Rosita or Aristotle being monsters.

On the flip side, as that recent ABC documentary addressed, tip-toeing around race, ethnicity, and like as they have been for all these decades doesn't meet the sociopolitical climate of our culture today, hence why they're now having to dive into these topics and subjects more directly with more human-esque Muppets that specifically represent these minorities, whether is autistic Julia, black Wes and Elijah, or now Korean-American Ji-Young.

I mean, in a perfect world, yes, Jim's far rosier intentions with Muppets would be sufficient enough, but unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Maybe in this regard, perhaps . . . because, as others have pointed out previously, in a way, it almost sort of defeats Jim's intentions with AMs to be race/ethnic-unspecific, hence why they're more of a rainbow of different colors (green, blue, lavender, purple, pumpkin, pink, golden yellow), so that way viewers can identify them in any way they choose to.

Even so, when it came to race/ethnic/other-specific characters, he and others usually made them more fantasy creatures or something to give them a more universal appeal, such as Rosita or Aristotle being monsters.

On the flip side, as that recent ABC documentary addressed, tip-toeing around race, ethnicity, and like as they have been for all these decades doesn't meet the sociopolitical climate of our culture today, hence why they're now having to dive into these topics and subjects more directly with more human-esque Muppets that specifically represent these minorities, whether is autistic Julia, black Wes and Elijah, or now Korean-American Ji-Young.

I mean, in a perfect world, yes, Jim's far rosier intentions with Muppets would be sufficient enough, but unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.
Sometimes it is best to have an authentic representation than the use of Any Muppets. Nothing against the idea to promote expressing yourself, but it doesn’t really help when it comes to portraying other cultures at times. These days there is a line you cannot cross when it comes to portraying other cultures in a certain manner.

Fozzie6

Reaction score

Kevin Clash once described Jim as “color blind.” So I guess it comes down to whether you still believe a color blind society is possible or do you prescribe to today’s “progressive” view that our racial identity defines us and everything we do.

Strictly from an artistic standpoint making muppets that look exactly like humans is uninspiring compared to the original cast of Sesame muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's a rather slippery slope. On the one hand, it's not that progressives want racial identity to define people or what they do, but on the other hand, they also have gotten so woke about it to the point that it's pretty much the kind of message they're sending - especially when it comes to something like voice acting or such, where even now, you must, must, must be the exact race or ethnicity of the character you're voicing, otherwise, you're depriving other voice actors of those races or ethnicities of work that they should be getting. Unless you're Phil LaMarr or Cree Summer, then you pretty much get a free pass to voice any characters, whether you share their race or etnicity or not.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I mean in the end, Elijah, Wes and Ji-Young were not the first race-specific muppets to be created as the media paints them out to be. Kingston Livingston literally existed in the early 90s with the Brown AM pattern soon following with other characters of Carribean descent (side or recurring or main) later on. But he seems to have been swept under the rug now. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Last edited:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That's a rather slippery slope. On the one hand, it's not that progressives want racial identity to define people or what they do, but on the other hand, they also have gotten so woke about it to the point that it's pretty much the kind of message they're sending - especially when it comes to something like voice acting or such, where even now, you must, must, must be the exact race or ethnicity of the character you're voicing, otherwise, you're depriving other voice actors of those races or ethnicities of work that they should be getting. Unless you're Phil LaMarr or Cree Summer, then you pretty much get a free pass to voice any characters, whether you share their race or etnicity or not.
I said it before, but I think the whole race in voice acting thing is looked at too black and white in both scenarios. The truth is it comes down to casting decisions but my overall opinion is have someone of the same race voice a character that matches them if they’re a lead or main. If they’re a side or recurring just kind of there for comic relief or stereotype humor while also being kept appropriate, I think it could go any direction, but at least still being considerate of sending out auditions to actors who match that race.

In the end I could care less if Caucasian actors choose to turn down a role of color and recommend someone else for it. That’s their choice. What does bug me however is when they announce it publicly on social media for the sake of getting clout. When I see these posts I’m just like “okay, cool” and move on. If you are a Caucasian actor (or even a minority who doesn’t match the race) and you choose to accept the audition and you book the role, personally that’s on you. You’re responsible for your own battles and potential consequences that may (unfortunately) follow with them.

That said, I do think most people who preach about this on social media *cough* twitter *cough* often come off too passive aggressive about it and often just have double standard views with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.