Sesame Street to Introduce HIV-Positive Muppet - Closed ?

FellowWLover

Reaction score
LOL... just had to laugh at the other guy being referred to as "the abortion guy"... bet that is a nickname he never counted on!

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
So...what's this new character like? What's going to happen? Kids are going to want to know how to get it..and that means they're going to have to go into more adult things. Besides, how did the character get it?

this is getting scary.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Baby Rowlf--

In South Africa, where the HIV+ Muppet will air, at least 1 in 9 people is HIV+. The AIDS epidemic is incredibly prolific and, according to recent scientific studies, it is expected to get worse before it reaches its 'saturation point.' There are a lot of misconceptions and prejudice surrounding HIV and AIDS in South Africa.

The HIV+ Muppet on the South Africa's Sesame Street is intended to teach understanding and tolerance. In all liklihood the Muppet will have been born with HIV. Most HIV+ children contract it from their mother. They can also get it from nursing. There are drugs to reduce the risk of an HIV+ mother passing HIV to her unborn child (and c-section deliveries also help) but they are not as readily available in Africa as they are in the US. Given that the Muppet in question will, I believe, be a child STDs and how they are contracted will not be an issue. Preschoolers don't know about that stuff and thus don't ask.

You're right it is scary. It's also a very sad that so many children are suffering not only from a horrible disease but also from the ignorance of others.

beaker

Reaction score
well, i avoided the whole sesame forum for awhile, which is a darn shame. sesame of all forums??? man. but from the likes of it, it sounds like

ok, so i read my name...

>>>I really can't discern exactly what happened today, but I do have a couple of comments. First, as for Cory, I think it is clear that he was just trying to stir things up and draw attention to the fact that there was a controversial thread on a "family site". <<<

stir things up? listen...i would expect that kind of ed discussion stuff on the old mc...but on here? let me say this. all i said was 'and i thought toughpigs was the only audlt forum'. i said this because its a darn shame that kind of emotion and ugly stuff gets stirred up in of all places, this one. was there really a 'muppets and christianity' thread? i dont even wanna know what was in that thread. anyways, it clear this guy crossed the line (his latter posts are gone, but i can imagine what they had) unfortunately this type of ignorance abounds. Perhaps the word right wing extremist comes to mind? fromt he way he replied, his acumen on things is quite askewed...he probably isnt aware we here at mc are a tough tight knit group. there are a lot of people of various preferences, religions, etc on here...and notice he couldnt get one to agree with him.

as for me stirring up something? how is bringing to attention the fact that its sad when things come down to that kind of 'dialogue' on a place like this stirring things up?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>The Muppets do have heavy followings in both gay and religious circles so someone having strong views doesn't suprise me<<<

thats what was so puzzling, anybody who has a clue knows
that gay people have and will always be heavily involved with the muppets, along with people who believe in all sorts of religions
(tho ed said 'people who belive in lies') yet he was on this infalable high horse. sheesh. personally it was the muppets and religion chats in the old mc that disgusted me...do i beleive certain subjects dont belong on here? i think more fairly, i feel more comfortable if theres a seperation.