Sesame Street Special "The Magical Wand Chase"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Welllll . . . since Steve's termination with Disney has come forward, the information that's been leaked throughout the internet is the real reason he stopped being Ernie was because he was fired for demanding more money (as in more than any of the other performers make).

HiHo3892

Reaction score
Welllll . . . since Steve's termination with Disney has come forward, the information that's been leaked throughout the internet is the real reason he stopped being Ernie was because he was fired for demanding more money (as in more than any of the other performers make).
That was just an example. It was still a factor in the recasting of Ernie. Maybe not THE reason but certainly a reason. But I don't really want to open that can of worms right now, it's kind of unrelated to the discussion at hand. But I will just say that his termination with Disney is essentially unrelated to the recasting of Ernie which took place a couple of years before. Also I would ask for a source on that "leaked" info.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I just saw it on You Tube that's why I'm posting now so sorry in advance for bumping an old thread.

Though as for my thoughts on the special, I thought it was very good. Some times I forget that SS takes place in New York so the fact that they met people from different cultures in different neighborhoods was very interesting. I do agree it could have used more Muppets like Bert, Ernie, Snuffy, etc. Sure we saw them in pictures at the end, but not the actual characters.

As for the recasting of Big Bird, I'm on the fence. I do agree that Matt's version of the character doesn't sound like Carroll's (heck, Carroll's most recent versions of Big Bird and Oscar don't sound like Carroll's now either as someone mentioned, but that's another story.) Anyway, Matt's Big Bird doesn't bother me too much anymore. I guess I gradually got used to Matt as Big Bird from when they had "Journey to Ernie" and his other performances of the character over the years. With Oscar, it's kind of a different story because Eric hadn't been performing him as often over the years, but within time I'm getting more used to that as well.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents on this.

Also, this isn't the first time Carroll didn't perform his characters in a "Sesame Street" special. One example I remember was that "Sesame Street 4D from a few years back. I think Matt was BB and John Tartia-whatshisname was Oscar. So I thought I'd mention that one as well.

So with that said, there's still a chance Carroll will probably come back to perform his characters on occasion. You never know.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
I just saw it on You Tube that's why I'm posting now so sorry in advance for bumping an old thread.

Though as for my thoughts on the special, I thought it was very good. Some times I forget that SS takes place in New York so the fact that they met people from different cultures in different neighborhoods was very interesting. I do agree it could have used more Muppets like Bert, Ernie, Snuffy, etc. Sure we saw them in pictures at the end, but not the actual characters.

As for the recasting of Big Bird, I'm on the fence. I do agree that Matt's version of the character doesn't sound like Carroll's (heck, Carroll's most recent versions of Big Bird and Oscar don't sound like Carroll's now either as someone mentioned, but that's another story.) Anyway, Matt's Big Bird doesn't bother me too much anymore. I guess I gradually got used to Matt as Big Bird from when they had "Journey to Ernie" and his other performances of the character over the years. With Oscar, it's kind of a different story because Eric hadn't been performing him as often over the years, but within time I'm getting more used to that as well.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents on this.

Also, this isn't the first time Carroll didn't perform his characters in a "Sesame Street" special. One example I remember was that "Sesame Street 4D from a few years back. I think Matt was BB and John Tartia-whatshisname was Oscar. So I thought I'd mention that one as well.

So with that said, there's still a chance Carroll will probably come back to perform his characters on occasion. You never know.
I agree completely. I feel like Caroll Spinney is only semi-retired. He actually just recently performed Oscar for a guest appearance only a couple of months ago so he hasn't completely stopped puppeteering, only to a more limited extent now which is something that I'm content with, knowing that he is still given the opportunity to do what he loves. That's all that matters.

Also, "John Tartia-whatshisname" and Vogel were only stand ins for Caroll in SS 4D. He still dubbed their voices in that film.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Oh, okay. I didn't see Carroll was credited on imdb so that's why I thought he was absent from that altogether.

:smile::embarrassed::concern: So that's why I thought he was absent from that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that's kind of like Frank looped in the voices for Miss Piggy and Sam in the Andy MacDowell episode of Muppets Tonight even though Frank looped in the voices later though Frank wasn't credited. Just thought I'd post that example.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Sorry. It's been a while since I watched it. I know he looped in the voice for Piggy for that one though.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Apparently this special will air on PBS this March. What's up with that? Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas aired on PBS a year after it aired on HBO. Why is it taking longer for the other specials?