Sesame Street Special "The Cookie Thief"

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I liked it, it may not have been the best Sesame Street special, but I liked it a lot. It's funny that usually when Prairie's around, Cookie Monster always eats something that she's wearing. "Maybe it's time for me to retire", a befitting line now that Fran is retired. Rachael Dratch was funny as the guard and the constant dramatic music annoying Chris, that was funny, too! I fully expected The Count showing up in the second story about Vincent Van Dough, but Grover appearing again was just as good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know right? That really threw me off the first time it happened, especially considering they have Cookie Monster pop in first, then he was followed by the promo. . . . and if you think it threw us adults off, imagine how confused the little kids watching may have been when it's like, "Why is there suddenly two Cookie Monsters?"

But I honestly am surprised how . . . "commercial" PBS has gone recently. Not commercial in the literal sense, but the on-screen promos during show? Station ID bugs (which my PBS used to never do)? Full programming or station bumpers and promos between the end of a show and the credits? And I see in some cases, they're shrinking the credits for more promos, just like network and cable do.
You're right. Even a bug promoting another show would be unacceptable. They had smaller, non-intrusive ones that promoted the PBS website games on Cyberchase, but it was well into the live action segment then and it was like, who cares? But why the heck would you put a promo saying what show you're watching during the show you're watching? I've honestly never seen them do that before! The tiny Cookie Monster dancing around in the middle of the screen, too? Just the timing and space of the pop up were confusing, distracting, and unnecessary.

As for the ads for other shows before the commercials. I don't know what to make of that, since they just appear to be attached to the show to grab attention. But what kid is going to stick around for the credits unless they're really into credits and fundings? Doesn't work inbetween shows, won't work during the show breaks. Though, I'd say there is logic to that if it's being watched on demand.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah yes, the famed Melancookie painted by Edvard Munch.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the museum's displaying Leonardo DaCrunchy's Vitruvian Ginger Bread Man. Aren't they concerned someone might study that painting and finally decode its secret purpose as a doomsday weapon? :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm disappointed the collection didn't include "Fig Newton descending a Staircase" by Marcel DuChomp

VonCount

Reaction score
My husband and I really enjoyed this special, and our two year old actually paid more attention than I would have thought. I really want a beret like prairie dawn's, I guess I'll have to make one!

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I just re-watched the special today. In regards to the music cue that was played every time the Cookie Thief was mentioned...it happened 11 times! (Yes, I actually kept track of how many times the music cue was played!)

theSHE124

Reaction score
GOT 2 SEE IT! Being an artist (let alone, a cookie eater!), this was something I havta see. Here's my list of funny quotes that made my day:

The Guard (Rachel): Uh, he's a Cookie Monster--it's a cookie painting--must I draw a picture?!

:super: Well what you'd expect? This is Belgium: waffles are everywhere!

:insatiable: [Licking himself] Mmmm--it is butter! Want some?
:laugh: Elmo's fine!

Prairie Dawn: Awww--it's time I retire!

For a first special in a long time, it's nice of SW to make Fran's last performance memorable, mainly, being the one who tries to control the Cookie Monster w/o much success! I'm glad that have a special that promotes 'doing your own art': loved that phrase as a kid, and it's still gonna be worth it for the Henson Wing at the Center ahead...

Also, my small cousin Jossie has a round-penguin plushie she calls "Pengui". I can imagine the fun we'll have next we meet...Oh no! The Penguin Patrol! Now we're in trouble!...