• Total voters

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Special - Elmo's Playdate
HBO Premiere: Tuesday April 14, 2020
PBS Premiere: Tuesday April 14, 2020

Tuesday night watch "Elmo's Playdate", an all-new virtual special with the Sesame Street cast, Anne Hathaway, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tracee Ellis Ross at 7|6c on PBS and the WarnerMedia family of networks including HBO, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Boomerang and truTV.

"Elmo's Playdate" is aimed at helping kids and families around the world feel connected in this time of uncertainty. The half-hour special takes the form of a cozy video conference as Elmo and company find new ways to play and learn together, while celebrating everything from our heroic EMTs and doctors to the simple pleasures of baking cookies at home.

If you saw this special, please "like" this post and share your thoughts below.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I liked the special for what it was. It could have been longer and have given every main character something to do, but it was fun. The funniest part was seeing Grover doing crazy things with his phone. And seeing Anne Hathaway head to toe was a treat too.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I am kind of surprised it was that short given the promo showcased that we may have seen other members of the cast and also appearances from Nina and Alan. Still an enjoyable special none the less and it was kind of fun seeing Virtual Cooking with Cookie. :insatiable:

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
They certainly managed to cram a lot into this half hour! A pleasant diversion, a great way to show kids that you can have just as much fun indoors over the internet as you can outside. Elmo is as engaging a host as ever, and everyone had fantastic scenes in this special, particularly the Muppets. Poor Grover and Cookie Monster can't get their act together. My only wish is that they gave more screentime to other Muppets and had more original Sesame Street songs as opposed to public domain standards.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It was decent. I was only expecting it to be okay, but it was a little better than that (not by too much).

I guess some scenes used green screen. It looked like Elmo was matted into the first scene. I was impressed with how similar Elmo’s room looked to his current room.

I like the lighting on Elmo and Rosita. They both looked so shiney and slick. And hey -Elmo doesn’t have the “beaver head” that the current puppet has lately.

Given the kind of special that it is, I wondered if it’d have existing inserts. And then it did have one of them. I am a little surprised they only did one, if it was having existing sketches.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just find it weird that it's airing on more adult-oriented networks like TBS, TNT, and especially truTV.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I just find it weird that it's airing on more adult-oriented networks like TBS, TNT, and especially truTV.
Well, I'm glad it did. My local PBS station wasn't airing it until tomorrow morning and I have a car appointment and I'm not sure that I'll be back in time so I was glad to catch it on TBS tonight.

Yeah, it's a shame Bert, Ernie and Prarie only appeared during the song "Sing," and Alan and Nina. Somehow I didn't see Nina there since they played the part with her relatively quickly. I didn't really know she was there until I read the end credits. I did catch Alan though.

But that was a good special overall. Very enjoyable.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It was said that Julia’s dad is an EMT. Has that fact been mentioned before or was it first revealed in this?
When Abby talked about how not everyone can be with both parents, I thought she was going to mention her parents being divorced. But that’s not the point, where it was to lead in to a discussion on what an EMT is.

elmo said he’s sung “Happy Birthday” more times than he’s had a birthday, but he’s only three and a half - not too hard to sing it more times than he’s had a birthday.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It was said that Julia’s dad is an EMT. Has that fact been mentioned before or was it first revealed in this?
I believe it was originally mentioned in the book her family first appeared in.