Sesame Street Season 7 Episode 900 - Sing-Along in Ernie and Bert's Bathroom

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 900 - Sing-Along in Ernie and Bert's Bathroom
HBO Max Premiere: Wednesday May 27, 2020

Bert is taking a bath alone when Ernie comes in with his piano to sing a song. Bert insists he will not sing along with Ernie. Ernie however, explains that singing will make Bert happy. Bert thinks the song is done but Ernie has invited his friends to sing with him. David brings his guitar, Gordon brings his bass and Bob and Maria come ready with their vocals. They all begin to sing and play their instruments. However, it doesn't end there! Big Bird joins with his xylophone, the Count walks in counting and Grover enters with his ukulele. Finally, after many songs, Bert decides to sing along. Together, Bert and his friends sing happily, their music being heard throughout Sesame Street.

1976 | 59 MIN

Please note, this is the first time this episode has been commercially released since it's original broadcast.

Watch on HBO Max

Muppet Wiki Guide

If you've seen "Sing-Along in Ernie and Bert's Bathroom" on HBO Max please like this post and share your thoughts below.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I noticed, at the end of the show, there seemed to be a gap surrounding Bert's neck. I wonder if Muppets could be disassembled?

Also, it was interesting to see the Sand M/m segments in different background colors (the latter being green).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed, at the end of the show, there seemed to be a gap surrounding Bert's neck. I wonder if Muppets could be disassembled?
Well, the heads and bodies are usually separate pieces. I typically notice it on Ernie when he's in the bath tub.

Recently, somebody on Facebook was telling me that many of the Muppets have removable parts. Not too sure how true this is, but they were saying that heads and arms are often removable. I would have thought those would be sewn on or something, and would require a bit of work to get off. Maybe I misunderstood, maybe they misunderstood. I noticed in the "There'll Be Some Changes Made" number that some heads and bodies of non-Whatnots are removed. And I heard that Julia has two sets of arms, which made me wonder if those were removable or if they had two separate puppets.

Probably a discussion for another thread. And I did think about asking some of the Muppet people on Facebook and Twitter but held off on it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw some of the classic episodes on HBO Max.

This is an interesting episode. On the album, the few times they acknowledge Bert's demand for a towel, they just carelessly say that there's too many people for them to reach it. Seems it was supposed to be a very small bathroom, but on the show, the bathroom set is huge. Perhaps it's due to me seeing images before I heard the album, but I kept finding it absurd that the bathroom was too crowded for them to be unable to hand Bert a towel (and couldn't some of them just go in the other room or go outside for a moment?). Perhaps to compensate, Bert only asks for a towel once, and they don't give the "there's no room to reach it" excuse (David just says they need to hear a song first.... so why didn't he grab the towel after?).

The part of Bert's neck that separates his head and body is more noticeable than usual if Bert is shirtless (well, I think it's also as noticeable in The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland). It seems like they tried to keep his body head-deep into the bubbles to avoid this but there's a lot of times when we see it. It's not as noticeable when Bert is in the tub in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, so maybe it's the build or the fact that that is shown at one particular angle while here we see Bert's neck at several angles.

During the ending tag, when the marching band comes in, is Bert happy to see them or not? On the album, he is happy, but here, it seems as if he is nervous before deciding "what the heck" and invites them into the tub.

What's the Name of That Song? ends with Mr. Hooper walking in and asking "what's the name of that song?", but then they ask "Mr. Hooper, do YOU know the name of that song?" He just asked the name, why would he know?

Maybe it's just me, but when we see Snuffy's nose coming out from the shower, it looks like Maria and Bert are both looking in that direction. I guess they have, as TV Tropes would say, no peripheral vision.