Sesame Street Season 53 Episode 5306 - Bert’s Bike Time with Luis (Emilio Delgado Tribute)

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Then it makes one wonder if they could have done that with Mr. Hooper back when he passed, but of course the show was different then.
Actually, the crew decided against doing that to avoid confusing the viewers because “if it moves, it’s alive”.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
But those aired long after the episode in question (1839).

Last edited:

80sMuppetFan

Reaction score
True and it's not like they ever aired an old episode with him in it after he passed. Even the big bird goes to camp episodes from season 14 omitted scenes with him when they were reran in season 16

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
True and it's not like they ever aired an old episode with him in it after he passed. Even the big bird goes to camp episodes from season 14 omitted scenes with him when they were reran in season 16
It just goes to show how much SS has changed over the years. They had to write Mr. Hooper's death into the show because they realized kids would notice his absence. Sort of the same with David since his passing wasn't all that long afterwards. They just sort of explained that he moved away to help on his grandmother's farm presumably because they didn't want to use the same storyline again, but these days adult characters such as Bob and Luis have been phasing out anyway, so it seems like the writers are just acting like they're still around. Makes one wonder what would happen should anything happen to Alan or Chris or Nina since they still seem to be the most prominent cast of adults on the show. Now I know we still have Nina, her brother and his husband and the kids Chris and Mia, but all of them are sort of newcomers to the show and sometimes newcomers only stay for about a season or two. (Ex: Mando) You just never know what's going to happen and how the writers would handle it.

ACvillagerFan

Reaction score
It just goes to show how much SS has changed over the years. They had to write Mr. Hooper's death into the show because they realized kids would notice his absence. Sort of the same with David since his passing wasn't all that long afterwards. They just sort of explained that he moved away to help on his grandmother's farm presumably because they didn't want to use the same storyline again, but these days adult characters such as Bob and Luis have been phasing out anyway, so it seems like the writers are just acting like they're still around. Makes one wonder what would happen should anything happen to Alan or Chris or Nina since they still seem to be the most prominent cast of adults on the show. Now I know we still have Nina, her brother and his husband and the kids Chris and Mia, but all of them are sort of newcomers to the show and sometimes newcomers only stay for about a season or two. (Ex: Mando) You just never know what's going to happen and how the writers would handle it.
I think if anything were to happen with current cast members, they would probably just stop using them. With Mr. Hooper, it was a much different time as much of the human cast at that time was prominently featured, in some cases, as far back as the first season. They were as recognizeable as the street itself, and Mr. Hooper was amongst that cast, which was why they had that episode handling his death.

I don't think kids really have as much of an attachment for the human cast now than they did back during Mr. Hooper's death. If anything were to happen to any of the cast members, whether they leave on their own terms, retire, or pass away, they would probably just stop using them, but still have them included in repeat episodes. They got away with doing that before with many of the human cast members before, so I wouldn't think this would be any different.

Probably the biggest case in point amongst recent cast members was in the season before this, where Suki Lopez was not avaliable to film for Season 52 due to is being filmed when she was not vaccinated, so there wasn't any actual in studio episodes filmed featuring Nina. The most she appeared in was that one episode where they had her in for a video call, and she was in some of that season's repeat stories.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think if anything were to happen with current cast members, they would probably just stop using them. With Mr. Hooper, it was a much different time as much of the human cast at that time was prominently featured, in some cases, as far back as the first season. They were as recognizeable as the street itself, and Mr. Hooper was amongst that cast, which was why they had that episode handling his death.

I don't think kids really have as much of an attachment for the human cast now than they did back during Mr. Hooper's death. If anything were to happen to any of the cast members, whether they leave on their own terms, retire, or pass away, they would probably just stop using them, but still have them included in repeat episodes. They got away with doing that before with many of the human cast members before, so I wouldn't think this would be any different.

Probably the biggest case in point amongst recent cast members was in the season before this, where Suki Lopez was not avaliable to film for Season 52 due to is being filmed when she was not vaccinated, so there wasn't any actual in studio episodes filmed featuring Nina. The most she appeared in was that one episode where they had her in for a video call, and she was in some of that season's repeat stories.
Yeah, you're right for the most part, except I'm not so sure about the more commonly used cast members: Alan, Chris and as you mentioned Nina/Suki, they might need to explain a disappearance there if anything happened to any of them, or they could just be phased out sort of like they did with Northern/David before he left, but hopefully that will be a long, long way off.