Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5022 - The Disappoint-O-Meter

mbmfrog

Reaction score
That was fine, I suppose. Though being disappointed certainly applies here - whatever vocals Caroll recorded for this episode were re-dubbed by Matt (I'm sure he didn't quite enjoy doing that).
Wait you mean BOTH Big Bird and Oscar was redubbed ? Were even a few lines by Caroll were in the episode ?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm would wager given his smaller role in the street story (and the photo evidence), he did Big Bird. Nothing of Caroll's was used in the final mix.

On tonight's MOMI stream, Stephanie theorized (probably correctly) that Caroll was not 100% well the day they did it, so the vocals might not have been all that worth using.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
On tonight's MOMI stream, Stephanie theorized (probably correctly) that Caroll was not 100% well the day they did it, so the vocals might not have been all that worth using.
Hold up. Where did the MOMI stream?
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it! Smh, I don't need you, I don't need anybody.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But, I mean, let's be honest: Caroll's voice was incredibly weak during his final years, and even so, his Big Bird and Oscar voices were sounding exactly alike in the end. Even when I met him at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo back in 2017, speaking with him at his table was not unlike on SEINFELD when Kramer was dating that low-talker, it was rather difficult to hear him speak, and more often than not, he wouldn't be able to finish answering a question, so Debbie would have to speak for him.

You can get an idea of that from this Q&A panel and sing-along I filmed:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I'll be the first to say when Caroll's voice started getting weak in 2017, it was about time Matt and Eric became the official Big Bird and Oscar. But I was still looking forward to hearing his final performance, regardless of how weak he might have sounded.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"The Disappoint-O-Meter" premieres on PBS this Monday December 7. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed in myself for something I did while listing the segments for this episode. I accidentally hit the 1 key too many times while filling out the NOTD, so instead of saying 10, it said 110.
Well, hopefully Oscar will come along and have an idea that will make you feel happy again. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Is there some special reason the episode wasn't in HD this week?

Either way, it was a nice change of pace to have an Oscar-focused story, and seeing Telly in the cold open (though I still haven't gotten used to his much deeper voice) as well as Big Bird, Snuffy, Cookie, and Grudgetta in the story were pleasing enough.
Yeah. They should go back to more Oscar/Telly pairings especially now since Baby Bear's role has been kind of diminishing lately. Oscar and Telly always seemed to make a good team.

We better warn @Daffyfan4ever then: You're not gonna hear Caroll's voice in any new material this season.
I'm well aware of that.

Yeah, it seems like when a lot of people are dying, you kind of notice their voice weakening which could be why they didn't want to use Carroll's recordings. I've been watching the new Jeopardy! episodes that were filmed before Alex's death and I can tell his voice is much weaker than it used to be. You kind of know he's going. I guess it's the same with Carroll.