Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5008 - A Recipe for Dance

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5008 - A Recipe for Dance
HBO Premiere: Saturday January 4, 2020
PBS Premiere: Thursday October 8, 2020

Chris and Rudy have trouble learning the dance moves in Nina's dance class so they sneak out and leave. They realize that they shouldn't give up so they practice and work together to learn the dance pattern and go back to join dance class.

This episode features an all new street story, a new Big Bird's Road Trip (Denver, Colorado), Cookie's Crumby Pictures ("The Hungry Games") and a new Elmo's World ("Patterns").

If you saw "A Recipe for Dance" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
All I could think of while watching this episode was "These are talented individuals working on this show and they are being 100% wasted on this."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I actually forgot how Jen's Zoe is . . . still needing work. I'm sure Shane will agree that the song at the end of the street story was about as engaging and memorable as a wall . . . again, they don't have to write a song about everything in every episode.

Big Bird's Road Trip was perhaps the most obviously-lazily chromakeyed one yet - like it looked like an editing job done on a low-budget, public-access show.

Nice to see a Crumby Picture again (and one of my favorites too), despite them cutting out perhaps one of the most effective somewhat-jokey lines from the bit ("Ugh! Why you so finicky, Finicky?")

Oddly enough, I liked Chris's shirt, though.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm sure Shane will agree that the song at the end of the street story was about as engaging and memorable as a wall . . . again, they don't have to write a song about everything in every episode.
My issue with the song is that it tried having its cake and eating it too with the lessons of the street story - patterns and "don't give up." And they just mish-moshed them into one song and it didn't work for me.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
You know what? Not the most remarkable episode but I appreciate that the human cast got some relatively substantial stuff to work with. Chris in particular. They felt a bit more like people in this one, and not so much interchangeable sidekicks to the Muppets.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"A Recipe for Dance" premieres on PBS this Thursday October 8. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Okay, I actually forgot how Jen's Zoe is . . . still needing work.
I agree. It's been quite a few seasons since she's been recast and she's still not sounding right. Whether that will change or not, I don't know. Maybe she should have been retired when Fran retired, but I guess that would have disappointed any big Zoe fans. Just some food for thought there.

Hey, just a random question here. How can Nina appear in street scenes when she's on the road trip with Big Bird? Did anyone ever think of that?

Chris in particular. They felt a bit more like people in this one, and not so much interchangeable sidekicks to the Muppets.
Yeah, for a while I forgot that Alan was Chris's boss at Hooper's until he told him to stay in the dance class and to bake later. Can you imagine a boss telling you NOT to return to work? :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, just a random question here. How can Nina appear in street scenes when she's on the road trip with Big Bird? Did anyone ever think of that?
Yes, I posted about it back in January when these episodes first aired.

Nina has been in several street stories this season ("The Great Sesame Street Cake-Off " and "A Recipe for Dance") even though she's also on the road trip with Big Bird. That lack of continuity has been disappointing, especially when the road trip segments air directly after each street story.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yes, I posted about it back in January when these episodes first aired.
Yeah, again with me not getting HBO and having to wait for the eps to air on PBS, I guess I'm absent her during a lot of January. I see what you're telling me though. They do have a problem with continuity. It's like doing repeat episodes that took place before the set was changed and before a few of the voices were recast and most of the human cast left. Seems like they're confusing the heck out of kids lately. :smile: