Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4930 - Counting Critters

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4930 - Counting Critters
HBO Premiere: Saturday June 8, 2019

Bert and Ernie are animal-sitting six animals, but the animals sneak outside onto Sesame Street. Bert and Ernie ask Alan and Elmo for their help to make sure they find all six animals.

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Abby's Amazing Adventures ("Sheep Ranchers") and Elmo's World ("Counting").

If you saw "Counting Critters" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That wasn't too bad, but it's hard to go wrong with Ernie and Bert as the stars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice that Bert was suddenly experience the same peculiarity that Fozzie was in the 2011 movie, in there were some unusual inconsistencies with his voice. Come to think of it, Ernie was having the same problem, but that's a little understandable - this is Peter's first full-time season as Ernie, and he probably still needs to get used to performing the character . . . which, itself has made me think that I believe Ernie is among the Muppets with the most performer changes: Jim Henson, Steve Whitmire, John Tartaglia, Billy Barkhurst, and now Peter Linz; that's five performers . . . I can't think of too many other Muppets that have had that many performers, TBH.

But, anyway, seeing Ernie and Bert as part of the main focus of the street story is always a treat, and in a sense, this one felt more like a tradition street story, as opposed to the "random things happening" format they've been favoring in recent years: it tied in everything you need for a story, such as a setup (Ernie leaving the door open for the animals to wander out), a conflict (the animals being loose on the street and needing to be gathered up), and a resolution (Ernie, Bert, and Elmo rounding up the animals), while also maintaining the curriculum of counting the animals - not just altogether, but counting the individual species and how many there are of them as well.

So, while not the greatest, it's definitely a stronger episode for this season so far.

At the same time, I've kind of been thinking: we've been discussing recently about certain actors on the show being a bit hammy at times (like Chris), but does anyone else besides me feel like Alan's gotten a little hammier in recent years as well? His reactions to certain things happening almost feel a little over-the-top and overdone anymore.

I also found it kind of odd that Oscar was upset about a pig making a mess inside his trashcan (because that's his job) and eager for Elmo to take it away; knowing Oscar, you would think he wouldn't give up the pig so easily because he likes that it's making such a big mess in his can.

Last edited:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Shane has spoken about Alan becoming hammy in recent years. I really enjoyed the street story. My favorite lines were "Chicken-sitting? That's not a thing!" (A very 2010's thing to say) And "I'm not good with kids, you're great with kids." I liked how in the new Amazing Adventure, there was a record scratch joke when Abby and Rudy noticed the sheep with the cows.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
There was a time when Alan's hamminess could get really bad from about season 42-44, roughly. The biggest example being that LMNOP episode with Donald Glover; God, that was cringy. Like, if I was the actor and I saw that script I would've been seriously concerned about the direction of the show and my character - that's how bad it was!
I do feel like Chris and Alan were made less hammy again starting with season 46 though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Ok, finally saw this episode and all I have to say is...yes, more episodes like this please!
For some reason, the stories about Ernie and Bert tend to be the funniest, and most well structured. The beginning definitely felt like a classic sketch with the two of them, and I miss those.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Counting Critters" premieres on PBS this Monday February 24. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.