Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4909 - Bath Time for Blanky

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4909 - Bath Time for Blanky
HBO Premiere: Saturday January 12, 2019

Abby brings Rudy to the laundromat to wash his stinky blanky. Grover is the new laundromat attendant, but doesn't know how to use the machines. Luckily, Chris brings in his dirty clothes too, and shows them all how to use a washing machine and dryer.

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Ketchup") and Elmo's World ("Clothing").

If you saw "Bath Time for Blanky" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I miss read this and thought it said bath time for Barkley, and then read the description and was mad that there was nothing about Barkley. It took me a good five minutes to realize that the story was about a blanket.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Meh. Nice to have Ernie and some Grover/Mr. Johnson interaction. That song was really lousy though.

One of my friends worked on that laundromat film, I believe (out in Georgia).

And I'm just now noticing Valencia from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was in that clothesline song from years ago.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Meh. Nice to have Ernie and some Grover/Mr. Johnson interaction. That song was really lousy though.
Yes, Grover's line reminding Mr. Johnson to "give me a good review on-line" was funny. It was also unexpected to see Mr. Johnson leave his underwear behind, so to speak. Hopefully, we continue to see more of them.

I couldn't help but think of Leela (Nitya Vidyasagar) given how much of this episode focused on the laundromat.

OscarandTelly

Reaction score
Leela was a great character and she would have went great in this episode. Working at the laundromat with Grover. She could have been the one training him. Does anyone know if Nitya Vidyasagar voluntarily left or if she was let go?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That's a good question. I assume they scaled back the human cast for similar reasons they narrowed the Muppet cast - there were just too many to keep track of (maybe a budget thing too).

I'm sure they wanted to keep a Hispanic human around, hence Nina (poor Mando, gone too soon). But frankly, I'd much rather have Leela around still.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they wanted to keep a Hispanic human around, hence Nina (poor Mando, gone too soon). But frankly, I'd much rather have Leela around still.
Yes, Chris (Chris Knowings) and Leela (Nitya Vidyasagar) had really nice chemistry over their seven seasons together. That's rare for young Sesame Street cast members. It hearkened back to the early 70's when a young David, Maria and Luis joined the cast.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Is that kind of the reason why Ernie was replaced by Peter Linz?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it was mostly because Billy Barkhurst was more suited to be a voice actor than a puppeteer.

Am I imagining things, or does it seem like Abby has a ever-so-slightly southern drawl whenever she talks now?

No mention of using fabric softener or dryer sheets so that clothes will feel soft and fluffy when they come out of the wash?

As for the song, I'll agree the lyrics were lousy, but the melody was nice to listen to, I thought.

Otherwise, this is another common trope for kids shows: the little kid who doesn't want to wash their blankeys.

I was wondering why that little girl kept insisting on a lot of ketchup on her veggieburger, since ketchup is really something you'd want in moderation on anything, but then when she spilled it on her shirt (while at the laundromat), it made sense.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I liked how both of the bookends coincided with the street story, that doesn't always happen. I liked how Ernie has different identical shirts for different occasions and Rudy acting like they look different. I liked how in the Foodie Truck bit, Cookie tried to warn the girl about getting ketchup on her shirt.