1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4907 - New Year's Eve on Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Season 49' started by Phillip, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Episode 4907 - New Year's Eve on Sesame Street
    HBO Premiere: Saturday December 29, 2018

It's New Year's Eve on Sesame Street. Rosita and Telly try to help Elmo stay awake until the new year so that he can celebrate with his friends.

This episode features an all-new street story, Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Eggs") and Elmo's World ("Celebrations").

[​IMG]

If you saw "New Year's Eve on Sesame Street" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Will be interested to hear people's reactions to this episode, especially when there's already a whole special devoted to this holiday. ;)

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Nothing new but the street story (the H - Holiday film was originally used on the PBS airing of the recent Christmas special).

I guess it was okay - that new Elmo puppet is a little freaky. It's nice Telly had a larger role, though Marty's age and abilities are starting to show.

Really, the best thing was the intro with Prairie and Grover with Steph's amazing delivery of "Sigh."

Froggy Fool and Pig's Laundry like this.
  4. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I wonder when we’re going to get that understudy of Telly, I know Marty stated he already cast someone to take over Telly and Snuffy after he goes.

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Okay, we didn't necessarily need to start the story with a musical number, just saying. It wasn't a bad song, just felt forced and contrived.

And the inconsistent set decorating bothered me: why is there a full orange fall tree out on the sidewalk, and others are full green summer trees? And why is there no snow on the ground in the middle of New York winter? Has Climate Change affected SS as well?

I'm betting Joe Fallon (or maybe Ken Scarborough) wrote this episode, given how reminiscent it is of the ARTHUR episode "Arthur's New Year's Eve," which was basically about Arthur trying to stay awake for new year. The only twist is Elmo was still able to celebrate, after a brief power nap, and that Telly and Rosita fell asleep from tiring themselves out trying to help Elmo stay awake.

Did we hear both Caroll and Matt as Big Bird? The singing at the beginning didn't sound at all like Matt, but it only barely sounded like Caroll.

And, did anyone else experience odd audio when everybody began gathering in the arbor for the countdown? Everybody suddenly sounded tinny and echoy.

I actually liked it! I thought it looked more like the 1998-2003 puppet, only with moving eyelids.

I'm pretty sure I also mentioned this a while back as well.

6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

The bookends with Prairie and Grover were funny. I loved Prairie saying "Sigh" and Ryan Dillon using the same voice as Kip from Dillongale for the pig at the end. I thought the song at the beginning of the street story was catchy. The plot with the Count and Alan trying to teach Cookie to count backwards was fun. Since D'Snowth is curious, Big Bird was Matt the whole time.

7. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Drat, wish I could have seen this episode...the plot sounds interesting and I like how Telly and Rosita get a central part. And it's ironic that this premiered exactly 25 years after the other special.

I wonder who would succeed him for Snuffy...Tyler maybe?

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I’m thinking Tyler for both characters.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  9. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I agree about the set decorating, how it looked more like autumn than winter. I know NYC hasn't had a white Christmas since 2002, but this is ridiculous! At least it looked like some Christmas lights were still up, so that was a fairly realistic touch.
    And yeah, I'm pretty sure Joe Fallon or Ken Scarborough wrote this episode, as it did remind me of "Arthur's New Year's Eve." Let's not forget D.W. was trying to stay awake as well, and SHE succeeded, with a little help of some ice cubes of course. But "Sesame Street" can't show something like that, can they? :zany:

10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, if Telly and Rosita gave Elmo the ol' ALS Ice Bucket Challenge treatment, maybe. . . .

11. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I think he certainly has the voice and the stature to do it.

12. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

You know, I thought BB's singing part sounded a little like Carroll. I may be wrong on this. After all, I was wrong once in 1987 so it's possible. Plus Carroll has recorded lines for BB and Oscar up to season 50 and it does seem like Carroll performs more of Big Bird when he sings. Just my thoughts.

13. Pig's Laundry

Nope, it was definitely Matt.

14. Daffyfan4ever

Oh, okay. I guess it's season 50 when we'll hear new material with Carroll as Big Bird and Oscar being that, 50 was the last season he recorded lines for. We'll see.

15. Pig's Laundry

Tbh, Caroll was already semi retired by season 48. I'm guessing they wanted to get him in for one last episode for Season 50, because of the anniversary.

16. Daffyfan4ever

Only one season 50 ep? I'm guessing you're referring to either the premiere or the finale. We'll just have to wait and see. Of course, it may be a longer wait for those of us who don't get HBO. You never know how soon they'll put those online.