Sesame Street Season 48 Episode 4806 - Clothing Drive

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4806 - Clothing Drive
HBO Premiere: Saturday December 23, 2017
PBS Premiere: Monday November 12, 2018

Rudy's favorite sweater doesn't fit him anymore so Nina suggests having a clothing drive in the neighborhood. Everyone can give clothes that they don't need anymore to the people who do need them. Rudy's sweater goes to a little girl who is very excited to wear it.

This episode features an all-new street story, Smart Cookies ("Long Arm of the Bear Claw") and a new Elmo's World ("Clothing").

If you saw "Clothing Drive" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Does Julia actually appear in the episode like the promo pic implies?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
She does, but only for a couple of lines.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm mixed about the episode.

On the one hand, I feel like the story could have used a little more conflict, like Rudy having too much sentimentality tied to his sweater to want to throw or give it away . . . but on the other hand, that'd be incredibly cliche, and it's been done before - even on SST. Even though she appears in the teaser, Abby wasn't in the episode proper, so maybe it could have been an interesting story if Rudy tried to have her magically expand the sweater so it could be big enough for him to wear, only to accidentally shrink him instead . . . but again, they've done that before. I guess they went with what they had to, and I guess it says a bit about Rudy's character that he accepted that he was too big for his favorite sweater, but it could make someone else happy. That's nice. At the same time, the street story felt a little strange because none of the long-established characters played significant roles in it, but rather, appeared throughout as supporting characters.

The rest of the episode, however, was enjoyable - nice seeing Smart Cookies again (albeit in a shortened version), but some of the little animated inserts were nice; I liked the one with the boy's system for dressing according to the four seasons - I have a similar system myself, lol.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Is it just me or does Rudy seem like he has the potential to overtake Elmo as the lead or at least the most popular character. I mean, he's the youngest character, just like Elmo once was, he's cute, he has a bit of a mischievous side but he's still sweet and well intentioned. To me, Rudy feels to Elmo, what Elmo was to Big Bird in the earlier years.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's too early to tell, for me.

In terms of exposure, I'd say Cookie Monster is practically the new Elmo (weird sentence, I know). Elmo used to be all over the place, but now, Cookie Monster is pretty much the face of a lot of the show's promotion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm glad Cookie Monster is the new face of Sesame right now: he's a solid, long -established character (long before Elmo), he's funny, phyiscal, loveable, he works well with other Muppets, he can go crazy, and he may be simple at times, but you just can't not love him. And unlike Elmo (or even Murray), Cookie has never necessarily been shoe-horned into anything.

As for Rudy, we're still getting a feel for the character, he was only introduced at the end of last season, and this has been his first major appearance so far this season, so yeah, I'd say it's too early to tell how much star-powering potential the character has at this point; if he becomes popular with kids and can sell merchandise, then that might happen - but I doubt any Muppet character, old or new, will ever be able to achieve that sheer level of domination that Elmo had all these years.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score

In terms of exposure, I'd say Cookie Monster is practically the new Elmo (weird sentence, I know). Elmo used to be all over the place, but now, Cookie Monster is pretty much the face of a lot of the show's promotion.
That's true. He even seems to be in all the parodies, even after Cookie's Crummy Pictures ended.

As for Rudy, we're still getting a feel for the character, he was only introduced at the end of last season, and this has been his first major appearance so far this season, so yeah, I'd say it's too early to tell how much star-powering potential the character has at this point; if he becomes popular with kids and can sell merchandise, then that might happen - but I doubt any Muppet character, old or new, will ever be able to achieve that sheer level of domination that Elmo had all these years.
Fair point.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The episode was nice. It was nice to see Rudy interact with Oscar, Bert, Ernie and Big Bird. Karen was performed by Stephanie, right? I know her dad was David. I'm guessing Stacey Gordon was the mom.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I noticed the Subway has stained glass now - almost makes it look like a church.