Sesame Street Season 47 Episode 4731 - Hello Rudy

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4731 - Hello Rudy
HBO Premiere: Saturday August 5, 2017
PBS Premiere: Thursday April 12, 2018

Abby is excited to meet her new stepbrother, Rudy, for the first time. Rosita and Elmo help Abby look out for him so she can see Rudy as soon as he gets to Sesame Street.

This episode features an all-new street story, Smart Cookies ("The Snickerdoodle") and Elmo's World ("Families").

If you saw "Hello Rudy" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm assuming that Rudy's story will be arcing over multiple episodes, because there were a few things shown in the previews and promos that weren't included in today's episode - mostly, Rudy finding and messing with Abby's wand.

Anyway, I think this was perhaps the best and most well-executed episode of the season: Abby, Elmo, and Rosita pretending to be secret agents while looking for Rudy and Freddy to arrive was a cute little build-up, and the initial awkwardness of the mix of feeling both excited and nervous about meeting each other was handled nicely. Between the photography, and placing the characters in different areas throughout the set also gave the story a nice little cinematic feel to it.

If Rudy's story's going to continue, then I'm glad: we already had so much going on in today's street story as it was, I feel like if they tried to squeeze anything else in, it would have been rushed, and thus not be as impactful.

Now I'm curious to see more of Rudy, his interaction with Abby, and how he fits in with the rest of the street.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Rudy will be in every street plot this month, so yeah, he's got an arc.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When Julia's debut recently aired, I figured there'd probably be a DVD release of this soon (and this is just logical assumption), I thought maybe there could be a release about making new friends. And then this comes out, another introduction to a new character.

If there's a new release next year about making new friends and it features Julia and Rudy's debut episodes, let's just say I called it.

zhelder

Reaction score
While not directly related to this episode, something has been really irritating me...

After the uproar that resulted from the firing of the veteran cast last year, we were assured that a change of heart had occurred and that these cast members would continue to be involved with Sesame Street.

And yet, there has not been one appearance of these cast members this season. Was it all a ruse just to shut us up? They couldn't have possibly had all 35 episodes in the bag when the news was made public, could they have?

I'm not optimistic about their return. And that twiddlebugs me.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And yet, there has not been one appearance of these cast members this season. Was it all a ruse just to shut us up? They couldn't have possibly had all 35 episodes in the bag when the news was made public, could they have?
The news of that broke in July 2016. The season wrapped production in April.

So, you do the math.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was great. Rudy's a nice addition, and it's wonderful that Frankie Cordero finally has a character. David Rudman's voice for the dad was the least David sounding voice I ever heard him do.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Hello Rudy" premieres on PBS this Thursday April 12. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
This episode was great. Rudy's a nice addition, and it's wonderful that Frankie Cordero finally has a character. David Rudman's voice for the dad was the least David sounding voice I ever heard him do.
I agree. When I first heard it, I thought it was Cookie Monster talking. It was also interesting that Abby's broken family was mentioned without having her directly mention her parents' divorce.